My cat is old and sick help? UPDATE!!!!!

oesdog

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Ireland
Well Teddy is about 14 yrs old .

He seemed fine - he had a fight about 2 weeks ago with another cat and got hurt in his eye so I took him to the vet and got him sorted and that was ok. It cost a fortune though!!!! Anyhow now he seems to be climbing on top of the fire sort of thing I mean if he got any closer he would be in it!!! He consequently seems to have gotten coal dust in his eyes ( we use a pot belly stove in the snug so it gets messy!). I have been washing Teds eyes out as best I can as he just got that darm eye fixed!!!!! Now he seems to be leeking a lot of fluid from the nose and eyes. Not sure if its coal dust irritation??? Anyhow he wouldn;t eat today which is really not like him ( Not even egg or cream rice that he loves???). When he tries to get up his back end is not working as well as it should. Its like he has bad arthritis - our temps here have been very very low lately were between -9 and -12 at times. In places here its been -19 so we are lucky as we live on the coast it hasn;t dropped off to that were we are but still extremely cold. Teddy is really suffering though and tonight he is sleeping in our bed so he is warm.

What can I do to help him????

Oesdog

Last edited:
Could he be having some more problems with his eye and the original injury? If he is battling a fever he might be acting cold and not wanting to eat.

well it depends we had a cat with bad arthritis, we gave her one quarter (1/4) a children's Tylenol every third (3rd) day- IT IS POISON.... but made her remaing life much more comfortable.

Dogs and Rats can take a medicne called Metacam.

If you can give him something for pain, he eats again and gets better on his own.

Rechecks at my vets are free.

Quote:
Please don't give your cat Tylenol, or anything else not prescribed by your vet. You could end up killing your cat if you do.

The eye/nose/eating issue is probably separate from the back/leg issue.

He could be suffering eye/nose problems because of the coal dust, or because of an upper respiratory infection. Either way, it's impacting his ability to smell, and if cats can't smell, they won't eat. Until you can get him to the vet give him the stinky-est food you can think of-cheap canned cat food, canned fish, whatever. This should be okay for a few days until you can get him to the vet. He may need antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, or allergy medication.

He may also have arthritis at his age, but other than keeping him warm I'd wait to give him anything until you see the vet.

Hence the warning that even 1/4 of a children's tylonol every 3 day was a POISON... (Renal failure I believe) but there comes a point when quality outweighs quantity.

We had to make this choice ourselves- our particular cat handled it well, other cats do not, not even one dose. It is December 23rd the chance of getting a vet tonight is very slim, I also mentioned Metacam, which is prescribed for rats and dogs, (probably poison to cats still the same way that Tylenol is it is a NASID)...

It is an option, our cat was 15 when she started her regimine (before metacam existed) she was PTS at age 18 after he does had been increasing with no effect oh her mobility.

Thanks

Have not given Cat anything - He slept in our bed all night cuddled up under the covers close to my chest. He looks a little improved today. I am hoping that the smell of the nice Christmas cooking will encourage him. Anyhow I figured I would get out the blender and syringe just incase cause I may have to syringe him. He is old and the back end is Arthritis he was hit by a car when he was younger on the back end and I think the extreme cold here is just bringing it all out.

I tried him on some egg last night he nibbled a bit but didn;t eat too much. Rice and cream was better in that he licked the cream and left the rice.

He is sleeping a lot - I am glad he is on my bed and not parked on the fire. I think the coal dust is what has caused another infection as he was already vaulnerable and weak from the last one.

Oesdog -
sad.png
worried)

Last edited:
Well we had a bad day yesterday when Teddy was dragging the back end along the ground so I had to carry him. I was really worried. Last night I got him to drink and today he is walking. I left him all day infront of the fire. He looks sore when he tries to move about but he can stand on the back legs now and even jumped up on the couch. I got him to eat some Turkey , Beef and Ham with a bowl of cream!!!! He ate it all and then he drank all of the Dogs water after chasing the dog away so I think he must be feeling better!!!! I am pleased - he is sleeping in our bed again tonight. I think he just got way too cold.

thanks for the care and help
Oesdog
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom