My Cayuga flew away

Jojo1988

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2020
I had 2 3month old cayuga ducks that I hatched from eggs. They have a shelter and I built them a proper pond. They are fed regularly and treated too. One has flown away today, the girl. I have looked everywhere and she's definitely gone or I would hear her. Plus her and her drake are inseparable. He is just all sad and lonely looking now. Do they ever come back? Is she too young to look after herself or even find her way home? I don't really know what to do. We live in a little village, there is a stream and I've been through it. I've been up into the surrounding woodland. I wouldn't mind if she could service in the wild (apart from the other duck being lonely). Yield can't believe she left him, they never leave one another.
Has anyone else had this happen with Cayuga or similar?

There were no feathers and no sign of a struggle. My neighbour was in and about his garden and he didn't hear anything, shes such a noisy duck too.. i cant imagine her not making a racket..and nothing set any of our cameras off. The only predator around us are buzzards but I just can't imagine them going for a duck, my neighbour has close to 50 free ranging chickens which would be a much easier target. I am going to have to find him some company...
I am inclined to think predator too as I've only ever seen them go a couple of feet up, never actually fly. With what ouse said I don't think she could have flown away either. The poor thing. She was so beautiful and lovely. I just can't think what could have taken her. My little lads going to be on lock down now, it's a good job I've built a big enclosure with a pond but I'm going to have to find him some company. He seems so sad, never makes any noise but he's been croaking all day.
Thank you for getting back to me.

I have had raccoons take ducks. Half the time there are signs of a struggle, half of the time the duck is just gone. Clues in your post make me think you live in the UK (you should put your location in your profile) but I'm sure that you have something in your area that can take a duck, like a fox or a badger.

I had three ducks ducks sitting on a hill side 2 years ago, one drake and two females. The hill is right next to the bushes, I ran inside to grab some water, asn was literally inside fo r2 minuets, came back out, and one was gone, my drake was standing confused and quaking. I ran across the yard to tell my mom, and turned my back for less then 15 seconds, and the second female has dissapeared. No noise, no struggle, and it happened in less the 10 seconds. I would assume she was taken, unless you didn't see it on the cameras, but if the cameras were in a spot were they could see a predator attack, wouldn't they see her fly away too? I am sorry, but I wouldn't count on her coming back. you should set a live trap, a large on if possible, but whatever took her will likely come back for more. Keep you drake locked up, and set cameras where they can see a predator if It comes back. I am sorry for your loss, Avery

I had three ducks ducks sitting on a hill side 2 years ago, one drake and two females. The hill is right next to the bushes, I ran inside to grab some water, asn was literally inside fo r2 minuets, came back out, and one was gone, my drake was standing confused and quaking. I ran across the yard to tell my mom, and turned my back for less then 15 seconds, and the second female has dissapeared. No noise, no struggle, and it happened in less the 10 seconds. I would assume she was taken, unless you didn't see it on the cameras, but if the cameras were in a spot were they could see a predator attack, wouldn't they see her fly away too? I am sorry, but I wouldn't count on her coming back. you should set a live trap, a large on if possible, but whatever took her will likely come back for more. Keep you drake locked up, and set cameras where they can see a predator if It comes back. I am sorry for your loss, Avery
Thank you Avery

I have had raccoons take ducks. Half the time there are signs of a struggle, half of the time the duck is just gone. Clues in your post make me think you live in the UK (you should put your location in your profile) but I'm sure that you have something in your area that can take a duck, like a fox or a badger.
Thank you Tom, yes I am from England, good guess. I'm going to have another search for her today but I am losing hope with finding her. I'm going to set some mink traps out in the river. It's the only thing I can realistically take a chicken although I haven't seen the mink for more than a year.

Back
Top Bottom