My chick’s crop is hard-ish. Is this a problem?

Sad Chick

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2023
Hey everyone! So, my chick‘s crop is somewhat solid

1)What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Not sure what type. 26 days old. I only have 1. Looks very plump/full. He ate A LOT of corn.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
not very different.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
about 5 hrs, maybe

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
only have 1 chick

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
i did feed her a lot of corn.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
yes? sort of

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
cant tell

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
none

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to
a vet?
myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
file attached

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
newspaper and paper

Attachments

• 453ADDCA-392E-46D3-87FB-7570EA2817D0.jpeg
    453ADDCA-392E-46D3-87FB-7570EA2817D0.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DE8C8686-1423-4756-9218-F6B2BEFBE6EB.jpeg
    DE8C8686-1423-4756-9218-F6B2BEFBE6EB.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 12
How big were the pieces of corn that were fed to her? Make sure she has access to plenty of water and remove ALL food overnight. If her crop doesn't go down by morning, I'd definitely take a look at this article

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Also, as I'm sure you know, chickens are very social creatures, so they do need a companion to be happy. Are you planning on getting her a sibling or two?

How big were the pieces of corn that were fed to her? Make sure she has access to plenty of water and remove ALL food overnight. If her crop doesn't go down by morning, I'd definitely take a look at this article

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Also, as I'm sure you know, chickens are very social creatures, so they do need a companion to be happy. Are you planning on getting her a sibling or two?
The pieces of corn were sort of small-ish. But, I think it was the strands of corn fiber my mom gave to her while I was in summer camp. And, yes, I do plan to get a a sibling. Maybe 2.

Now shes fine, but it did take a lot of massaging to get the food she ate down. I had also given her some vegetabl oil mixed with warm water to help. Also took her off food for a day. Thanks for the help, though! <3
No problem! Glad to hear she's doing better! 🤗

Oh, and just wondering, would a chick's crop become somewhat hardish (still a bit soft but not SUPER hard or SUPER squishy) after eating lots of grit? I think she may have had a bit of a grit shortage.

Oh, and just wondering, would a chick's crop become somewhat hardish (still a bit soft but not SUPER hard or SUPER squishy) after eating lots of grit? I think she may have had a bit of a grit shortage.
The crop will usually be firm/hard if the chick(en) ate something hard (grit, scratch, etc) if it's squishy, that usually means the crop is full of water or some other form of liquid. I personally didn't start my chicks on grit until they were about 4-5wks old and even then I used grit specifically for chicks. A baby chick should not get the same grit as an adult as this can cause impaction

The crop will usually be firm/hard if the chick(en) ate something hard (grit, scratch, etc) if it's squishy, that usually means the crop is full of water or some other form of liquid. I personally didn't start my chicks on grit until they were about 4-5wks old and even then I used grit specifically for chicks. A baby chick should not get the same grit as an adult as this can cause impaction
great! butter is already 4 weeks old, and im fairly sure she just are a lot of solid foods. She also ate lots of watermelon the next day so her crop was squishy!

Back
Top Bottom