My chick has a broken hock.

Salty Cookie

Chirping
Apr 10, 2020
Hi, I am new to this group and also new to keeping chickens. Just got 9 chicks 3 weeks ago. They are now about 3 weeks + a couple of days.
One of the chicks has a broken hock and I have separated her and secured her leg using Q-tips and vet wrap for 4 days. I removed the tape and had her walk a bit, but her hock is so wobbly it moves backward and also forward (it shouldn't move that way????)
I hope I am doing a right treatment for her. What is the best way to keep her during the day? Chicken sling? How long should I keep her leg secured???
20200410_113639.jpg

Last edited:
One, is that a chick carrying pouch? I need one of those. Two, I would keep the makeshift cast on for a few more days and then see how it is. If it is doing better I would make another brace but a bit looser so it can regain strength. If it isn’t doing any better I would put the cast back on for a few more days.
Best of luck

One, is that a chick carrying pouch? I need one of those. Two, I would keep the makeshift cast on for a few more days and then see how it is. If it is doing better I would make another brace but a bit looser so it can regain strength. If it isn’t doing any better I would put the cast back on for a few more days.
Best of luck
Thank you! I will keep her for a few more days... The pink pouch looking thing is just a piece of cloth I made three holes (legs and poop hole,) kind of a sling.

Here is a good link that shows some splinting techniques for a slipped tendon, and a video of a vet treating a broken leg:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peachick-with-slipped-tendon.1092979/

[/QUOTE
Thanks! Actually I have another chick, that just recovered from a splayed leg hurt another leg... She is a slow grower and her size is almost 1/3 of the others, I think she got scared of the big ones running and screaming and hurt her leg as she tried to hide... Hope her's is not broken:hit

Back
Top Bottom