My chick has a bum eye! Can anyone help?

quackerfactory

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
I got her for free when I bought all my other chicks because of her bum eye, but I am intensely curious what it is and if this is going to be a problem at any point. The lid did not start opening and functioning until yesterday, before then it was completely closed over. The eye hangs out of her head pretty far. She is not bothered at all by it.

It looks very bulgy. (If that's a word.) Do you think the chick hatched out that way or was it an injury. I do know that they have some eye ointment that you can buy at the farm store.....I can't think of the name off hand, but it comes in a little tube.

Hope the little chick will be OK. I'll bet it will function just fine with one eye, since it doesn't know any better.

Sharon

It is SUPER bulgy! Pretty much the entire eye is hanging out of her head but it's covered by what seems to be an equally weird/large eyelid. I don't think it is an injury because when I got her from the feed store she was only 2, maybe 3 days old and it looked completely sealed off then and there was no irritation or anything that would suggest it was an injury. It looks pretty gruesome in the photo because it had just started opening and closing. She does function very well with just the one eye. I will look into the ointment! I'm trying to handle her extra so that in case her eye gives her problems in the future she will be easy to handle when she is older.

Back
Top Bottom