My Chick is not walking properly

rukayasophia

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
I have a three day old chick that is not walking properly. It's three days old and still can't walk. It has its legs spread out all the way and its kind of waddling along. It's the same size as the other chicks and there was no problems coming out of the egg. Help?!??!

It sounds like it had spraddle leg or splayed leg. You'll need to tape it's legs if it is to have any hope of a good life.

This thread shows my chick that had spraddle leg, and my attempts to fix. The rubber band was a terrible fix- I should've gone straight for the electrical tape. Unfortunately, the chick pictured didn't make it, but I learned a lot from the experience, and when a friend's chick hatched a few months later with the same issue, I was able to "fix" it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/619151/slight-case-of-spraddle-leg-in-chick-have-questions

I've heard many people say their chicks were walking just fine after 24 hours, but my friend's chick took longer, almost a week if memory serves.

Sounds like spraddle leg, what kind of surface are they on? Someone hopefully will come along with detailed instructions on how to help with it , you can kinda help there legs stay in a normal width apart with little bandaid hobbles and people have used small cups to sit them in so there legs cant go out so far. But someone else will be able to explain what to do in more detail.

I m not sure and i dont want to give bad advice but just so the legs are as close as the should be when standing ane cant spread out to far. I have heard letting thek rest in a little cup helps but im not sure if thats befor during or whqt along with tapeing ?? Hopefully someone. who knows will answrr

Back
Top Bottom