My chick order came today, now what?

GreggsEggs

Cooped Up
12 Years
Aug 31, 2007
Caneyville, KY
My chick order of 104 day old pullets came this morning.

Now what?

I took them out of the box one by one and introduced them to water and the waterer. Most if not all seem to have understood! That I think is a plus. I mixed vitamin and electrolytes in the water. They were hatched Monday, how long should i give them the mixed water for?

I filled their mason jar feeders in addition to spredding some feed on the floor of the brooders. they are gobbling the food up like its going out of style!

I have 100w bulbs in those silver lamp thingies!

I assume they were on the cold side when they arrived. So the chicks are huddling under the lights, which I would think is normal til they warm up enough.

Now my question is, will they know when they are warm enough and move away, or will they stay there and try to cook them selves?

Not all are huddling directly under the lights only about half are at a time. They look like Rugby players in their little huddle, pushing the group around.

I checked the temp directly under the light and it reads about 95 or so. At the farthest from the light it reads about 75.

Is this a good temp and range?

Please, give me your feed back and what you might think needs changing!

I have never raised day old chicks before my other girsl were 2 week old pullets.

TY,
Dewayne
aka GreggsEggs

Its too cold for them the temp should be around 90 degrees...move it closer to the bottom of the brooder. This will help with the crowding of the chicks under the lamp
smile.png

Luckylash7 wrote:Its too cold for them the temp should be around 90 degrees...move it closer to the bottom of the brooder. This will help with the crowding of the chicks under the lamp

The temp in 1/3 to 1/2 is over 90 degrees, it 95ish + or -.
The 75 degrees is at the furthest from the lights.​

australorpnonnie wrote:I got my australorps yesterday We thought they were going to be 1 or 2 days old, but they are already growing wing feathers.

My chicks I know were only hatch Monday, but hey all have a little bit of feathers on their wing tips but thats about it.

Don't feel bad Im not new to chickens just new to chicks, so were in the same boat chick wise!

I have Another question, as far as barred plymouth rocks go, is the male or female that has a white spot on its head or do both? I know it is the spot on their heads that is passed on when breeding BR with rir to get sexlins making sexing BSL so easy!​

Those are all fine temps. Listen to your chicks and you will know if there is a problem. They love to quietly talk but if someone is unhappy you will know by the sharper, louder chirps. I know if my babies are hungry or want fresh water by the sounds they make. They will go away from the heat and back all day. You will know when it is a good time to raise the light a little by how they sleep at night. If they are all under it they still need the heat. As they get a little older you will notice them sleeping in a ring around the warmest part. At that time you can raise the light a few inches. Try to use the red lights if you can find them. I use the 250 Watt heat lamps. This is a more calming color for them and they do not pick at each other as much. Also if someone get a little bo bo the others will not notice it as easily and pick. Listening to them is the best judge you have. Just like human babies they will let you know if they are not happy. Jenn

I have Another question, as far as barred plymouth rocks go, is the male or female that has a white spot on its head or do both? I know it is the spot on their heads that is passed on when breeding BR with rir to get sexlins making sexing BSL so easy!

Both sexes in BRs have the headspots, but the female's are smaller and more defined and the male's is larger and splotchier.​

It might be a little hard to accomidate all 95 chicks perfectly. Most are chirping softly, but once and a while 1 or 2 with chirp load and sharp.

Those 1 or 2 will have to just take what they can get!

LOL

Back
Top Bottom