My chicken abandoned her eggs after two hatched

Lorax

Chirping
Jul 13, 2020
Good day.

We are long-time chicken keepers and have raised our current hens from day old chicks.

One of our hens, Betty, turned broody a few weeks ago so we bought 12 eggs from our chicken lady up the road. She did say she wasn't sure if the cockerel had covered all the eggs. Betty was put in her own coop and sat on her eggs diligently. But at day five systematically rejected five of the eggs which all proved to be unfertilised. Bang on day 21 - yesterday - two hatched within hours of each other. Then, nothing.

Today she started going outside with her two chicks to feed and drink (outside into a covered run). But it soon became clear she wasn't going back in. We tried to get her back in by gentle encouragement and she stood on one of the eggs and cracked it. We opened it and there was a perfect, very nearly born, but dead chick inside which I found really upsetting. She has lost interest in the other eggs and they are now cold. We've put them in an incubator but don't hold out much hope.

This is our first time doing this. Did we do something wrong? Should the eggs all hatch pretty much within 24 hours of each other? I was thinking that surely they would otherwise you'd get a mother hen who was torn between looking after her chicks which get every more mobile by the minute, and sitting on her unhatched eggs.

Any thoughts or advice welcome.

You didn’t do anything wrong, nor has she, she’s just following instincts. When some broodies are sure there aren’t anymore hatching then they’ll leave. Have you candled to see if those eggs are indeed alive? If they were all set the same day, they should pretty much all hatch over 48 hours, 72 at a big push. If you can hatch them off in the incubator you can probably slip them under her one night.

Thanks so much for replying. I haven't candled, not sure what to do. It's only been 36 hours since they hatched.

I wonder if I made a mistake putting food and water in the coop initially and then putting it outside? Do you think I interfered with natural instinct?

I wonder if I made a mistake putting food and water in the coop initially and then putting it outside? Do you think I interfered with natural instinct?

No. Nothing wrong was done. She was just following her instinct. In her mind she had to care for her hatched chicks or sit on unhatched eggs and leave the chicks to fend for themselves. Have you candled the eggs yet?

No. Nothing wrong was done. She was just following her instinct. In her mind she had to care for her hatched chicks or sit on unhatched eggs and leave the chicks to fend for themselves. Have you candled the eggs yet?

Thank you. I have been blaming myself.

I did candle just now. All four remaining eggs had arrested development so I don't feel bad about them. But why oh why did that chick not make it? That's what I'm wondering. It was so nearly there and I think had pipped (but couldn't be sure as the egg was crushed. I just keep thinking if a bit longer and it would have made it.

Anyway - positives - two healthy chicks!

Thank you. I have been blaming myself.

I did candle just now. All four remaining eggs had arrested development so I don't feel bad about them. But why oh why did that chick not make it? That's what I'm wondering. It was so nearly there and I think had pipped (but couldn't be sure as the egg was crushed. I just keep thinking if a bit longer and it would have made it.

Anyway - positives - two healthy chicks!

It’s hard right? Unlike using an incubator there’s just so many variables over which you’ve no control or influence. There’s a number of reasons of which the chick may have died. Hopefully you’ll have a better hatch next time! :hugs:fl

Back
Top Bottom