My chicken ate a mouse!

Chickens eat little animals and bugs all the time -- they're surprisingly violent creatures. The chances of them getting sick from eating a mouse are very low, and judging by what you've said, she already seems to be improving.
To be frank, I would let the chickens eat any mice they come across. I know that you don't like hurting animals, but chickens are completely different and naturally hunt and eat small rodents. It's a treat for them, and gets them some more exercise with running the thing down and then trying to steal it from one another.

Chickens eat little animals and bugs all the time -- they're surprisingly violent creatures. The chances of them getting sick from eating a mouse are very low, and judging by what you've said, she already seems to be improving.
To be frank, I would let the chickens eat any mice they come across. I know that you don't like hurting animals, but chickens are completely different and naturally hunt and eat small rodents. It's a treat for them, and gets them some more exercise with running the thing down and then trying to steal it from one another.
I'll let Cheese (or anyone, really.) eat one next time they catch a mouse. Plus, I won't have to retrieve a dead mouse from a chicken beak again if it does happen again!

Three days ago, I went into the yard and saw that my chicken Cheesey Poof was being chased all around the coop by every chicken in the flock because something was in her beak that they all wanted. I went in to see what she had and was disgusted to see a dead mouse in her beak! Before she could finnish eating it, I grabbed it out her her mouth and threw it away. :sick

Two days later, I noticed she was acting slower than usual, fluffed up, and her eyes were closed. (It was cold outside and she was going through a molt though, so this is probably not because of the mouse?) I looked at her today and she's still acting slow, but a lot better. Should I be concerned about mouse-eating in my flock?
I don't normally advocate poison for mice but if you have absolutely no other choice and have to put out something to get rid of them, there's a product called MouseX that is other animal safe, it only harms mice. It's not supposed to harm even if something else eats the them after they've ingested it. Mice will travel so letting your neighbors know to not use poison that could make your chickens sick might be a good idea too.

... Mice will travel so letting your neighbors know to not use poison that could make your chickens sick might be a good idea too.
This is a good point. Even if you do not use poison, make sure your neighbors do not use poison either. Lat year, I lost a cat because of that. Poisoned mice are easy catch.

Back
Top Bottom