My chicken baby isn't eating

It's too late for a vet to do anything for the beak. She and her others hens were probably debeaked as chicks. It's an extremely painful and cruel operation where the beak is electrically burned off and the blood vessels cauterized. The beak will never be able to grow back.

She is likely in no pain from it now, but she will have a difficult time eating anything but moist food.

Thank you I really appreciate the help. I don't think people realize how much I've fell in love with my hens. I spend a lot of time with them outside and we search for bugs and worms whatever we can find :)

It's too late for a vet to do anything for the beak. She and her others hens were probably debeaked as chicks. It's an extremely painful and cruel operation where the beak is electrically burned off and the blood vessels cauterized. The beak will never be able to grow back.

She is likely in no pain from it now, but she will have a difficult time eating anything but moist food.

If they debeaked the birds wouldn’t her other hen be the same way?

Since it’s your family’s business, can you ask if she was debeaked?

I didn’t think anyplace in the US still did that :idunno....

Thank you I really appreciate the help. I don't think people realize how much I've fell in love with my hens. I spend a lot of time with them outside and we search for bugs and worms whatever we can find

I think that most everyone here knows exactly how you feel about your hens. They can be very special, and you can form just as real an attachment to them as you would to a furry pet.

I wonder if she’d eat a worm if you held it in front of her— sort of dangling there... I think she’d have better luck that way because the bottom half of her beak won’t get in the way if the worm is hanging. For that matter you could feed her slivers of fruit in the same way, held out in front of her.... I just don’t know if you can realistically hand feed her enough to keep her healthy. If she’ll eat any of the moist, softened crumbles, then you’d just be hand feeding what she’d normally be foraging for...

All the talking she does to you is probably her way of trying to tell you that she knows something is wrong and she can’t eat the way she wants to. She probably is hungry... but only you can tell if it seems like she’s losing weight... does she feel lighter or skinnier?
Do you know what they were feeding her before you got her? Because like you said, she wouldn’t have survived this long if she couldn’t eat at all. Unless this injury isn’t as old as everyone thinks.
Oh yeah, and welcome to BYC! :thumbsup

Was chatting to a friend who knows a bit about the animal laws etc and she said it's still legal but very few places do this couse most birds die
It's very strange situation
Do u know who or where u got this bird from or off

No offence but sttrongberg where ever or who ever that is really needs a good kick up the hole
Sorry sorry please please please dont take this offensively it's just my soul option

No offence but sttrongberg where ever or who ever that is really needs a good kick up the hole
Sorry sorry please please please dont take this offensively it's just my soul option

Major/popular hatchery and supplier. Haha. That's my point. This is much less rare than people might think. Especially when it is a commercial operation where they need to keep the chickens from killing each other in tight quarters. As soon as I saw the OP say "I saved her from our families slaughter house", I knew exactly what had happened....

I don't get it am I missing something in ur paragraph paneubert

Depends on what you aren't getting! Haha. :idunno I was just saying that while the practice is nasty and most of us would never think of doing it to our birds, it is something that some larger factory farms do regularly and is something anyone could do if they want to buy the machine for 300 bucks from one of the larger/popular sellers of chicken supplies. I remember someone a few weeks/months back who got a chick who had their beak "fall off" after arrival at their house and it turned out they had been sold chicks that had this done to them at the hatchery as day old chicks. So it happens, even in sales to residential customers when it shouldn't happen and there would be no reason to do it to the chicks.

Well see if this wasn't a friendly platform I'd say a few words if u know
But come on like this is one of those things taht should be illagle to do
I might get onto a few of my higher up poultry friends and see what the crack is about with this so and so preformance

Back
Top Bottom