My chicken can't seem to eat hard feed

NikkiAustin

Hatching
Mar 21, 2018
Hi, new member from South Africa. Please can someone advise me, my chicken +/- 4 year old female does not seem to be able to eat hard food. She has been to the vet and was on a course of antibiotics for 7 days, (the vets in this town are more horse vets than chicken vets). She looks better in herself but I have watched her try to eat something hard and she just gives up after poking it around for a while. Banana is about the only thing I have seen her eat. She even gave up on a grape today and they love grapes. I feel so sorry for her I can see she is hungry and excited about the food but she just cant eat it. I am new at this chicky thing so am hoping someone can help. Regards Nikki

You should probably have a look inside her beak with a flashlight while someone holds her. Look for any growths or yellow sores, and make sure the tongue is okay.
Mix up a small bowl of the feed and add a lot of water to stir into a thin paste. They will usually eat that, and you may also add a tsp of plain yogurt or some chopped egg. Only mix enogh for one day, and discard it.

You should probably have a look inside her beak with a flashlight while someone holds her. Look for any growths or yellow sores, and make sure the tongue is okay.
Mix up a small bowl of the feed and add a lot of water to stir into a thin paste. They will usually eat that, and you may also add a tsp of plain yogurt or some chopped egg. Only mix enogh for one day, and discard it.
Thanks so much for this advice, will definitely have a good look in the morning and feed as per your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom