My chicken coop has mold..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jtcarp6, Mar 16, 2015.

  1. jtcarp6

    jtcarp6 Out Of The Brooder

    14
    1
    24
    Mar 16, 2015
    Morgantown. WV.
    I just built a chicken coop out of ruff cut lumber and the wood is still a little green. The coop is developing little black spots of mold. My question is im about to introduce my baby chickens to the coop when they are at the right age. Do you guys think the mold will harm the chickens?
     
  2. justplainbatty

    justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,784
    136
    228
    Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Absolutely! Bleach, bleach and more bleach,dry,dry,dry and then paint/seal with low voc,water based, something safe... Chicken respiratory systems are very delicate! Don't forget to ventilate to the max. You can always close some vents during inclement weather. Sorry that is happening after all your hard work! [​IMG]
     
  3. jtcarp6

    jtcarp6 Out Of The Brooder

    14
    1
    24
    Mar 16, 2015
    Morgantown. WV.

    Absolutely! Bleach, bleach and more bleach,dry,dry,dry and then paint/seal with low voc,water based, something safe... Chicken respiratory systems are very delicate! Don't forget to ventilate to the max. You can always close some vents during inclement weather. Sorry that is happening after all your hard work! :(
     
  4. jtcarp6

    jtcarp6 Out Of The Brooder

    14
    1
    24
    Mar 16, 2015
    Morgantown. WV.
    Thank you... I will get on that. Asap..
     
  5. triplepurpose

    triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

    972
    157
    188
    Oct 13, 2008

    No, I wouldn't worry. Keep it ventilated (this is always important for other reasons anyway). Should clear up as the wood dries out fully. If mold on the wood gets really bad--like, fuzzy--I would wipe it down with a rag soaked in vinegar, which will clean it and the acetic acid tends to discourage mold growth.

    With respect to Batty, personally I'd be more concerned about the dangers posed to the chickens lungs by chlorine gas fumes from bleach than from a few mold spores. I live in the humid tropics and mold is pretty much impossible to avoid entirely--but this hasn't stopped us from having healthy chix for decades.
     
  6. jtcarp6

    jtcarp6 Out Of The Brooder

    14
    1
    24
    Mar 16, 2015
    Morgantown. WV.
    Thanks. I will keep that in mind. Once I put the singles on and fully seal up so water can't get inside it should dry out faster. It's not a lot of mold just specks in the wood. Mostly on the outside.
     
  7. justplainbatty

    justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,784
    136
    228
    Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Meh, the fumes go away once it's dry. The only reason I suggested it is bc it is black mold. People have died and they condemn houses for it if it's not cleanable. If you find a small amount in your home, bleaching 3x and repainting is recommended....I guess it depends on the type of mold. [​IMG] I would think, as you said, vinegar would be fine for most molds. [​IMG]
     
  8. RonP

    RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

    Yes, and make sure your finished coop is well ventilated.
     
  9. PapaChaz

    PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

    2,833
    618
    301
    May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    I know it's been said already, but I just wanted to re-emphasize the importance of ventilation. You have to have adequate ventilation to let the moisture out, if there's moisture in there and you seal it up completely, that moisture has no where to go.......

    also, once the chickens live in the coop, they will add a tremendous amount of moisture to the air when they exhale, that needs somewhere to go as well
     
  10. WildfireSmitty

    WildfireSmitty Chillin' With My Peeps

    Black mold can cause respiratory and other issues, but there is no link to death (in humans). But it could be deadly to little chicks. I drench my brooding room in bleach(not pure, dilute with water, I use 1 cup for every 5 gallons)with a backpack sprayer and let it dry. Throw some heat lamps in there and it will dry pretty quick. Then I throw 800 cornish x in there and never have had a problem.

    I do agree with everyone else about the ventilation. The amount of ventilation co insides with the amount of birds that will be in your coop.

    Was the wood you used for your coop treated wood?
     
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by