My chicken day... How was yours?

tazcat70

I must be crazy!
13 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Kansas
My Coop
My Coop
My husband woke me up this morning with....

"Tonya did you close the coop last night?" I told him yes I thought I had...then he said "Then did you already let the chickens out?" I was asleep what did he think?
smack.gif

So I hopped out of bed to go and check on the chickens. They were fine, and thankfully it was pretty warm last night. We had a warm up yesterday and I was working on the coop. I added a door and a nest. By the time I got it finished all the chickies were already roosting and so I must have forgotten to close their door.
sad.png
I can't believe I did that, I was really tired but I didn't think I was that tired.

Back to checking on the chickens, I went out and there was my little roo crowing! A squeaky little crow. It was such a cute sound! He is a blue golden duckwing OE bantam. Such a gorgeous little guy. (proud mama here
smile.png
)

Since it was nice I let all the chickens out to roam the yard as I watched. The kids, dogs, and husband were all in the house and I enjoyed the quiet. As I was herding them back into the coop I picked up my blue cornish pullet and carried her to the door and put her on the ground so she could go in at her own pace. She squatted down and I thought something was wrong, I just stared at her and she popped up and ambled over to the door and in she went. THEN it dawned on me...she squatted.....SHE SQUATTED FOR ME!!!!

I did the happy dance!
wee.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif

When I told my family they were not impressed.
roll.png

Well that is my chicken day, how was yours?

Tonya

I thought that was the cutest thing when my BO squatted for me. She does it all the time now, and it started right before she started laying.

my day started out like this:

Wake up
have no breakfast
bring two gallons of water out
slip on ice
drop four cups of feed on snow
find waterer empty and dirty
clean waterer
fill waterer
feed
find two silkies escaped from their enclosure
put silkies back in
clean silkie food and water
attempt to chip ice off cinder block
break cinder block in half
clean cinder block remains up
let chickens out
throw a large bucket of shavings in coop
throw 2 cups of scratch in
find waterer all soaked up with fresh shavings
clean shavings out
discover that the hose works and the lug this morning was in vain
fill waterer
put chickens back in
hear one of my roos do his first crow (there are several veteran crowers)
applaud
close door
go back in house
eat lunch
eat dinner
lock coop
get on BYC
and it continues...

Funny how a chicken flirting with you can make you so happy, isn't it....

We had a busy day today - after church this morning, I went up to help my sis with cleaning out her old place where she is moving her stuff out.

Then back home to finish up the brooder lid so I could separate my 2.5 wk old babies - they were wall to wall and needed more room.

Then I had to go out and have another chat with my 22 wk old girls who have YET to produce an egg. Didn't work, but maybe tomorrow...sigh.

I spent part of the afternoon sitting on an overturned bucket taking pictures and chatting with them....the weather was so nice after all the snow and cold of the past month!!

My daughter is home from college on winter break so she went out to the coop with scratch to hang with the chickens. They are grown now, the last time she saw them they were pullets. She was shocked at how big they were and when they started chasing her for the scratch she ran!
lol.png
She said "They keep pecking my shoes!" She changed our roo's name from Kramer to Flaver Flav because it's just him and a bunch of women.
lau.gif

I am sorry Bawk. But you did get a 1st crow. Hopefully it wasn't from a hen.
wink.png

The pullet that squatted is one that I bought at a local auction. So I am not sure how old she is.

I thought about taking some pics today too, but my daughter has been really clingy today.
barnie.gif
I know I should enjoy them (the clingy days) but man! She was driving me crazy!

Tonya

nothing to be sorry about! this is a usual day, just with a few more crows. the roo that crowed was a long time chicken alarm roo. he is always the first one to go "BUU-KAAK!!!1" when there is a loud sound.

Back
Top Bottom