My chicken died. What happened?

AllyTCat

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
One of my chickens passed away today. Since ive been really distracted lately I never noticed anything wrong with her. She ate normally and drank water. For the past two days she didnt lay any eggs, but she would stand in the nesting box with another chicken. She’s an Easter egger and she’s one of two, she would almost always be around the other one. Out of five chickens she was the youngest as well as the other Easter egger I have.
There’s this rotten tree stump and for some reason the chickens decided to eat it a couple months ago, and there’s a large hole inside of it now. I found her laying in there, her eyes barely open, she was breathing slowly and heavily. I picked her up and she was completely limp, and as I started carrying her away that’s when she stopped breathing, her heart stopped beating, everything. She even got one last poop out.
I have no idea what happened, I’m not very educated on any diseases or what could’ve caused this to happen.
If it’s a disease, how can I prevent it from spreading to the others?
I don’t have any good pictures of her unfortunately or I would put it here in case anyone would see something I don’t.
Sorry I don’t have much information. Like I said, I’ve been very distracted lately, so I haven’t been paying enough attention to her.
I hope the other hens will be okay.

One of my chickens passed away today. Since ive been really distracted lately I never noticed anything wrong with her. She ate normally and drank water. For the past two days she didnt lay any eggs, but she would stand in the nesting box with another chicken. She’s an Easter egger and she’s one of two, she would almost always be around the other one. Out of five chickens she was the youngest as well as the other Easter egger I have.
There’s this rotten tree stump and for some reason the chickens decided to eat it a couple months ago, and there’s a large hole inside of it now. I found her laying in there, her eyes barely open, she was breathing slowly and heavily. I picked her up and she was completely limp, and as I started carrying her away that’s when she stopped breathing, her heart stopped beating, everything. She even got one last poop out.
I have no idea what happened, I’m not very educated on any diseases or what could’ve caused this to happen.
If it’s a disease, how can I prevent it from spreading to the others?
I don’t have any good pictures of her unfortunately or I would put it here in case anyone would see something I don’t.
Sorry I don’t have much information. Like I said, I’ve been very distracted lately, so I haven’t been paying enough attention to her.
I hope the other hens will be okay.

I’m so sorry for your loss. Sometimes these things just happen. I am a big advocate of sending the body for a necropsy. You need a box and freezer packs. You can put the body in the fridge for the time being and do a quick google search for your state’s livestock necropsy lab. It’s probably the only way you’ll get the answers you want.

Back
Top Bottom