My chicken had fowl pox for 4 weeks. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Luckybaby, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Luckybaby

Luckybaby Chirping

Mar 11, 2014
    My 4 years old chicken had a symptom of fowl pox since 4 weeks ago. It initially appears to be a wound at her comb and near her ears, since it was bleeding. I applied betadine 10% for 2 days, but it worsens (it grew bigger and there was more bleeding) several days later. Since last week, I noticed that her fowl pox virus started to increase substantially when a lot of warts appeared on her wattles and other parts of her head.

I know that she had fowl pox when she was 1 year old. So, she should be immune to it, and if it did occur because of stress, she shouldn't have the symptoms since 2 weeks ago. The other chickens in the flock, doesn't have the same illness as hers, and they all had fowl pox before they reach 2 years of age.

I seperated her from the flock and I applied betadine everyday since 6 days ago.

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Could you post a few pictures of these birds?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    KikisGirls likes this.
  4. Luckybaby

Luckybaby Chirping

Mar 11, 2014
    DSCN1997.JPG DSCN1999.JPG DSCN2000.JPG DSCN2001.JPG

5. Luckybaby

Luckybaby Chirping

Mar 11, 2014
    She no longer wants to eat on her own, and she appears to yawn a lot.
    Note: I applied betadine 10% solution on 8 consecutive days, except today, and today is the 8th day since I confined her in a cage.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her fowl pox looks very serious. Look inside her beak to see if she has any yellow lesions inside her thoat. If so, that would be signs of wet fowl pox, also called diphtheritic avian pox. She looks very sick. She must be fed some wet chicken feed and fluids to keep her alive. You might want to tube feed her. As said before, do not disturb or touch the pox scabs, so as not to spread it more. Any lsions around the eyes can cause secondary bacterial infection, so I would use some Terramycin eye ointment in her eyes twice a day, and clean them out with cotton and saline. If you only can find plain Neosporin Triple Antibiotic, then use that. Getting her to eat and drink is most important while the pox virus runs it's course.

KikisGirls likes this.
  7. Luckybaby

Luckybaby Chirping

Mar 11, 2014
    Thank you! I don't think she has the wet form. I gave her amoxicillin (125 mg every 12 hours) since 1.5 days ago, and she wants to eat on her own 12 hours after she ate the first oral dose of antibiotic. I've read that dry fowl pox should last 2 to 3 weeks. Do you know of any instances when it last for more than a month?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: