My chicken has a cold

Vickie350z

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
My chicken has a cold she is not doing well, I have had her on sulmet water solution, for 3 days now and she is just not getting better. Her eyes are bubbling and closed. I have wipe them off and put neosprain on them when they were closed when she opens them they are still bubbled. She is breathing heavy, and I'm having to force feeding her. I don't know what else to do and don't want to lose her. I separated her from the other chickens and one other started to get the eye bubbles but got them all on sulmet now and the others are fine.

Can anyone help me.

Thanks
Vickie

Vickie, this sounds serious enough that I feel compelled to get it back out on the 'main page' so a person experienced with these symptoms can weigh in, hopefully very soon. I am very concerned about the hevay breathing and congestion. Sound slike she needs help quick.

I don't know that I'd be putting neosporin on her eyes.....
JJ

p.s. I would also consider changing the title of your post to say something like - "Need help - hen with labored breathing and eye bubbles"

Last edited:
I just had the same problem with a silkie pullet. I gave it 3 injections of Tylan 50. after the first shot her eye was open but still runny, after the second the eye was open fully with very little drainage, I will let you know about after the third since I just gave it to her about 2 hours ago.

mike

still looking for help with this chicken.... she isn't eating or drinking much....

she opens her eyes and then closes them again because she can't see and she also keeps scratching them when they are open so I have to grab her legs, so I try not to upset her so she doesn't open them....

The only reason I put to neosporin on them is because I read something on this site about someone else having problems with the eyes but wasn't sick.

I don't know how to change the index on this....so I have to leave it here.

thanks
Vickie

I agree with keystone. Sounds like CRD symptoms. Does it rattle when it breathes? Click HERE for some more information on treatment of CRD. Good luck!

Coryza (previously known as things like a cold or roup) is caused by bacteria called Heamophilus paragallinarum, which primarily attacks the upper respiratory system, including the nasal passages. Swelling of the face, wheezing, sneezing, nasal discharge, conjunctivitis (including ‘bubbles’ at the corner of the eye), eyes glued shut, and open-mouth breathing are some of the more common symptoms. And they may appear singly or in various combinations. But the most telltale symptom is the unmistakable odor that is generated from the nasal discharge. Once you’ve smelled this odor, you’ll identify it every time. Additional symptoms unrelated to breathing can be a drop in production, reduction in fertility, diarrhea, and a decrease in water consumption. Although not as common, if rales are detected, then it is safe to assume that the lower respiratory tract is involved as well.

I believe this is what she has, but I could be wrong.... she is mouth breathing!

thanks

Trust me, hit her with the Tylan, it is some excellent stuff for respiratory issues, period. Good luck!

I agree...Tylan.
quick.

just use a little saline eye wash to clean her eyes.
most drug stores will have it.

need weight/size of bird to properly dose.

Thanks everyone will go get the tylan 50 need to know how much to give her. She weights 1 lb 13 oz.

Should I treat all my chickens as well?

thanks
Vickie

For a chicken that size, and the Tylan 50, 1/4 cc in the breast, for three consecutive days, you can see the specific treatment of Tylan by following the link in my previous post. If you don't have other birds showing symptoms, don't treat them. The bird that is, needs to be isolated too, by the way. First thing that should be done when you see a problem, isolate them. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom