my chicken has blown up?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Oct 20, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    what would cause my poor little chabo roo to blow up like a balloon...he's full of air, not just round his chest but his entire body, he looks so round [​IMG] and is obviously uncomfortable. ive tried to photograph it as best i can but it just doesnt do him justice...his skin is so stretched im scared he's gonna pop!

any ideas what would cause all this air under the skin? he canhardly walk now he's so round

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wilobrookfarms

wilobrookfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    Oh goodness! Yes! What is wrong with the poor boy? He looks like a blowfish!

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Are you sure it's air? I've had a few had kidney disease, their abdomens filled with fluids. Needed to be drained, but only temporary until the inevitable death.

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    its definatly air...when you tap it its like a little drum (i liken it to a turkey tom when he fills his chest with air and makes that boom sound)

5. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Do you have a needle and syringe by any chance? You could try and drain the contents.

6. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Quote:i thought of sticking a needle in but the skin is so stretched im petrified he'll pop (i have a fear of balloons popping which really doesnt help the situation!)

7. ChickiKat

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    skin has a differnet elasticity than a balloon, if you have a medical syringe with needle I would try to aspirate what ever is in there.... you are going to have to use sterile technique though...

8. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Goodness he looks like the girl from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! I would get a sterile needle and syringe and try to drain that off, poor guy!

9. ChickiKat

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Quote:looks like a good link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by