My chicken has died

racheallouise

Hatching
Jun 28, 2020
Hi , can anyone help , my chicken lucky has died today she had a very large egg the day before and seemed a bit off after a while just wondering is this a normal thing that may happen . Also noticed that my one of my other chickens won't settle now .

Hi , can anyone help , my chicken lucky has died today she had a very large egg the day before and seemed a bit off after a while just wondering is this a normal thing that may happen . Also noticed that my one of my other chickens won't settle now .
Welcome To BYC!

I'm sorry that your hen died.
It's very hard to know why one has suddenly died unless a necropsy is performed. Your state lab can do one for you or if you are up to it do an informal one yourself at home. Sometimes you can tell if a reproductive issue was the cause.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

You mention one of your other chickens won't settle now - can you tell us a bit more about that? How old is she? What's she doing?
Sometimes losing a member of the flock can disrupt the flock. If these 2 hens were buddies, then she may be missing her. This will pass in a couple of days. Just keep watch on her and see that she's eating/drinking o.k.

She's wondering around the pen seems like she's looking for Lucky. They were close as had them from the breeder together she is eating but will keep watch on her as she's one of my flighty girls. The term headless chicken suit's her she's very silly and runs around like the sky is falling 🙄. Thanks for trying to help .

I'm sorry for your loss 😫😫😫
Maybe the other one is mourning her friend and don't know how to act.

Sorry about losing your girl
Unfortunately the vet school won't give back her body. That upset me cause I wanted to bury HER here .. all my girls are buried now all but the hen that died at the FD and the missing big Hen . All died over a year or so time ,when I gave them up mostly from predators.
when I lost my latest newer older girl set she died a painful long death. I thought it was worms or something finally when I did get wormer in food it was too late. her crop just dried up. I feel and about it. to watch her suffer that long. She prob starved to death.. prob couldn't process reg stuff. She drank a lot and enjoyed the soft baked cumshaw etc.
Cause Hubby told a while back he would no longer be a Chicken Dr. and was good ad administering wormer etc thru a small syringe down side of their mouth.
Now I wish I would have remained chicken less as I hate seeing any get sick etc.
Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom