My chicken has forgotten how to be a chicken!

APChickens99

Chirping
5 Years
May 12, 2016
Hi fellow chicken lovers,
I've come to ask for some advice as a last resort, since I myself am not sure what to do anymore. I'm a very knowledgeable chicken owner, but this little problem has me stumped. So I'm hoping someone out here may give me some advice.

Recently, my chicken called Charlie who is around 4/5 years old had started to lose weight and her energy. She could still climb onto the perch where the other chickens were, but it was as if she was struggling to get up. And each day, she began to lose strength to the point she could no longer keep herself steady, let alone walk. So I quickly seperated her and took care of her inside my house. At first she didn't want to eat, had lost a lot of weight and I was expecting the worse. But suddenly, after force feeding her for quite some time, Charlie made progress and ate on her own. I was delighted to see some improvement. But she still couldn't stand up and walk. And I was wondering if she ever would. Before her sickness, she was one of the most friendliest, liveliest chickens. She would be the only on scavenging for bugs when it was raining, and would often come up to the door and sing until she was fed. She had established 3rd in command and got along well with the other chickens. However, after 2 long months of taking care of her, putting her inside to sleep, taking her outside in a quarentined area so she could eat and drink without other chickens bothering her, I realised Charlie was getting stronger and heavier. And she finally began to walk, on her own! Sure, they were tiny steps, but the progress was amazing! She was defiantly fighting for her will to live. But here's where the problem kicks in. Charlie is a Isa Brown, and she had two friends, who are also Isa Browns, that she was very close with, Ginger and Rosey. Ginger is very tame and kind, but Rosey is not. It seems she has it in for Charlie. As I put Charlie down and tried to reintroduce her back into the chicken family that I had to remove her from, Rosey was not afraid to start attacking her and asserting her dominance. However, instead of running or trying to walk away, Charlie didn't move. Instead, when I would walk away and keep a close eye on her, she would come to me and want nothing to do with the chickens. I feel she has grown attached to me since I had been her primary carer, but now this has become a problem. I can't leave Charlie unattended or else Rosey will not hold back. It's as if Charlie has forgotten to be a chicken. So, does anyone have any advice for me in order to reintroduce Charlie back into the squad? And also, is there any way I can retrain her to be a chicken again? Because I really think she has forgotten. Any advice will be most appreciated.
Thank you.

Could Rosey have been attacking Charlie or keeping her away from the food before she started having that problem?
No. Before Charlie got sick, Rosey and Charlie were like best friends. She never attacked her before, but has only recently become aggressive when I reintroduced Charlie back into the pack after 2 months. I only have 8 chickens, so I make sure to keep my eye on all of them.

I think that you might have to reintroduce Charlie back into the flock by putting her in a separate cage inside the coop or run, until they get to know each other again. That way Rosey can't attack her when Charlie is in her own safe place.
That's a very good idea, I might have to try that. Thanks for the idea. :)

If that doesn't work, I would put Rosey in solitary confinement (her own crate)for a few days. Usually being away from the flock lowers their status by a few rungs. When back in the flock she may forget she was after Charlie. If not you can buy pinless peepers for her(check out via search feature).

They are sorta glasses for ornery chickens. The chicken can not see straight ahead so it throws their aim off. Also they focus on the annoying peepers and forget about their victim.

If that doesn't work, I would put Rosey in solitary confinement (her own crate)for a few days. Usually being away from the flock lowers their status by a few rungs. When back in the flock she may forget she was after Charlie. If not you can buy pinless peepers for her(check out via search feature).

They are sorta glasses for ornery chickens. The chicken can not see straight ahead so it throws their aim off. Also they focus on the annoying peepers and forget about their victim.

Wow, I've never heard of pineless peepers until now! But I did the research and I may give it a go. If I'm being honest now, we have 3 bullies in the flock, and in the past, 2 of them have given the other chickens grief. And most of the time, the offending chickens have done nothing wrong. I guess the bullies just want to assert dominance. Surprisingly enough, the two other bullies are a daughter and mother duo. I have tried everything I could look up to stop them bullying, but they just won't learn their lesson. Confinement? Check. Scolding? Check. Maybe this little tip will finally solve my problems. All I want is for them to get along. Thank you for your suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom