My chicken has maggots!!!!

Maggots can cause much more damage than any original wound. When they run out of rotted flesh they will attack live flesh and also migrate through the body. You don't want them reaching her brain.

I always try to tell folks if their birds are injured to keep them inside till the wound is totally healed because flies will lay eggs and the maggots will flourish. The hot weather is the worst time to deal with them as flies are everywhere.

Some folks start with hydrogen peroxide because the bubbling action floats them out. You may need vet assistance if the maggots have gotten deeper inside her body where you can't see/reach them.

Maggots can cause much more damage than any original wound. When they run out of rotted flesh they will attack live flesh and also migrate through the body.  You don't want them reaching her brain. 

I always try to tell folks if their birds are injured to keep them inside till the wound is totally healed because flies will lay eggs and the maggots will flourish.   The hot weather  is the worst time to deal with them as flies are everywhere.

Some folks start with hydrogen peroxide because the bubbling action floats them out.  You may need vet assistance if the maggots have gotten deeper inside her body where you can't see/reach them.

Thank you for the advice:)

Sadly it's very hot here and flies are flourishing, I have moved her out of reach of the flies... We have removed all the large maggots, but super small maggots remained. We bought a maggot/fly killer and have removed all visible maggots.

I am sorry to hear about this and hulk. I am sorry I have no advice for you. I am very interested in how it goes. I trust well. Please keep us posted. I am new to the chicken thing so I am learning.
I constantly clean coops once or twice a day and deep clean on the weekends from top to bottom. I also bathe my 5 hens once a month with a little dawn dish detergent (original type) Making sure I hit their bottom end. So far I have had no problems but there will come a day I am sure.
Flies are always present it seems, but I try to keep at a minimum and watch for signs.
Please keep us posted. I hope you are able to be rid of them once and for all.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hulk has gone almost 48 hours without me seeing any maggots. I am super happy! I applied some stuff on the wounds to help with healing and also sprayed maggot killer and fly repellant.

So far no flies are bothering her but I will keep checking every so often. She is enjoying grazing around the yard with the other chickens. I hope she finds plenty of bugs to eat :)

I am confident of her healing because the wound was not in contact with her vent, and she never acted sick or stopped eating. She did act a little tired but I hope it's just because of having the baths and having to heat herself back up. But I am super confident in her healing!

Thank you all for helping and I'll keep posting updates for a few days :)

Hulk has gone almost 48 hours without me seeing any maggots. I am super happy! I applied some stuff on the wounds to help with healing and also sprayed maggot killer and fly repellant.

So far no flies are bothering her but I will keep checking every so often. She is enjoying grazing around the yard with the other chickens. I hope she finds plenty of bugs to eat
smile.png

I am confident of her healing because the wound was not in contact with her vent, and she never acted sick or stopped eating. She did act a little tired but I hope it's just because of having the baths and having to heat herself back up. But I am super confident in her healing!

Thank you all for helping and I'll keep posting updates for a few days
smile.png
That's super good news! You are a GREAT nurse and chicken mom. Please keep posting!
@kyle5 what a sweet post! Welcome to BYC! Thank you for posting the housekeeping tips too!

That's super good news! You are a GREAT nurse and chicken mom. Please keep posting!
 what a sweet post! Welcome to BYC! Thank you for posting the housekeeping tips too!

Thank you for the compliment! My parents joke around that they are my actual children! Sometimes I'm even called "the chicken whisperer" lol :) :)

Back
Top Bottom