1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken has Mercks...what do I do with the rest of the flock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eBird, Oct 2, 2013.

1. eBird

eBird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    I just heard back from the vet - my chicken has Mercks. What I wonder now is what do I do with the rest of the flock?

The other three chickens have been exposed so I am wondering what I should do.

Here are the options I know of thus far:
    1) Wash and scrub everything on a regular basis! Use a bleach-water solution on the soil and watch them closely.
    2) Cull the flock.

Other information: the chickens are in a temporary coop while I build them one that is more sturdy. Will putting chickens in this permanent coop contaminate it for future flocks?

Thank you, thank you for any help.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, I would just wait and see what happens. Marek's is everywhere even without obviously infected birds being in contact with the ground, etc. Some bird are more resistant than others; its possible that the rest of your flock will be hardy enough to withstand the disease.

If any more do fall ill, though, I would cull all of your birds. Disinfect the area well, or re-locate the coop. Making sure you only get vaccinated chicks is another possibility.

3. eBird

eBird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Thank you @BantamLover21 for your suggestions.

My chickens were bought from a place that advertizes chicks with Mercks vacations...I am hopeful that my other hens will be okay.

I moved their temporary coop to a new location and thoroughly hosed down the old location.

I will be watching my chickens carefully and will make a point of cleaning their roosting box on a near daily basis. Hopefully with heightened precautionary measures they will be okay.

Warmly, eBird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by