My chicken has started attacking me?

I have Rhode Island Red and I didn't know she was actually a he. Yours kinda does resemble mine but maybe a bit smaller. I didn't think my rooster because for the longest time he didn't crow but at about 19 or 20 weeks he started to crow. Watch for the bright tail feathers and if its a he, he should be close to crowing if he hasn't already.

Her tail feathers look like my other 2. They all 3 look girly to me except for 2 of their combs and wattles. I just don't know anymore lol. This is my first time having chickens. Just as soon as I think I have it all figured out something like this happens and I get all overwhelmed. Is this what it's like having kids? Maybe I should rethink that aspiration as well!
D.gif

Rhode Island Red. She was 18 weeks on Wednesday.
LOl! That explains.That's a mean breed.If i were you i'd replace her with a PR(Production Red)this breeds nice,great companion,EXCELENT egg layer as well.And how long have you had the birds?

It looks like a hen to me, I don't see any pointed feathers or sickle feathers. I have one hen that gets all crazy when she starts to lay, chases and pecks my kids, has drawn blood on me. After about two/three days of laying she calms down. But then she goes broody after only 3-4 weeks of laying, and then she is super feisty. I swear I think it is a hormonal issue, my other layers do not do this, even my other broody girl. Could be your hen is about to start laying, and is being protective of her nesting area. Good luck with her!

Thanks! Interesting about the hormones. It makes sense though! I don't blame her lol.

LOl! That explains.That's a mean breed.If i were you i'd replace her with a PR(Production Red)this breeds nice,great companion,EXCELENT egg layer as well.And how long have you had the birds?

This is my first time having chickens. I got them because I heard RIRs are nicer than some breeds and also because I was told they were good for beginners. My other 2 are pretty sweet. A little skittish though. They were hatched May 21 and they came in the mail to my house around May 23rd.

Her tail feathers look like my other 2. They all 3 look girly to me except for 2 of their combs and wattles. I just don't know anymore lol. This is my first time having chickens. Just as soon as I think I have it all figured out something like this happens and I get all overwhelmed. Is this what it's like having kids? Maybe I should rethink that aspiration as well!
D.gif
Well,how old are they?(again).Normally roosters have HUGe combs with long wabbles,but their wabbles and combs are dark red, of course if their roosters.And the breeds suppose to have a greenish tail.It explains all about why the Black sex link has iT!DUH! The sex link is mixed with RIR just got why the breeds dark and has a curly black tail.

This is my first time having chickens. I got them because I heard RIRs are nicer than some breeds and also because I was told they were good for beginners. My other 2 are pretty sweet. A little skittish though. They were hatched May 21 and they came in the mail to my house around May 23rd.
Eh, never mind then.RIR's are known to be nice,of course people may think of that because is mixed with the PR.PR happens to be a sweet breed as well and with personal experince the PR is sweeter,nicer,and a better layer,That's my opionion.

Well,how old are they?(again).Normally roosters have HUGe combs with long wabbles,but their wabbles and combs are dark red, of course if their roosters.And the breeds suppose to have a greenish tail.It explains all about why the Black sex link has iT!DUH! The sex link is mixed with RIR just got why the breeds dark and has a curly black tail.

They were 18 weeks on Wednesday. :) They do kind of have shiny greenish feathers on their necks if the light hits them in the right spot but I'm still (almost, until today anyway!) 100% sure that all 3 are hens.

Last edited:
My RIR is a lap chicken, and heritage versions of the breed tend to be nice. Some of the hatcheries have done crosses to increase production, so many of the RIRs we purchase are actually production reds that have a type very similar to a RIR. These birds seem to be a mixed bag. Some people claim they are very aggressive, especially the roos, and some get very sweet birds. My RIR is not a heritage quality, she is from a hatchery, but she is super sweet and even lets my three year old carry her around. I'm hoping your girl is just having teenage year/about to lay/puberty issues, and will hopefully calm down when she starts laying.

Yeah,youngsters(cockerals)show a nasty attitude.They mate a bunch they will fight you too.

My RIR is a lap chicken, and heritage versions of the breed tend to be nice. Some of the hatcheries have done crosses to increase production, so many of the RIRs we purchase are actually production reds that have a type very similar to a RIR. These birds seem to be a mixed bag. Some people claim they are very aggressive, especially the roos, and some get very sweet birds. My RIR is not a heritage quality, she is from a hatchery, but she is super sweet and even lets my three year old carry her around. I'm hoping your girl is just having teenage year/about to lay/puberty issues, and will hopefully calm down when she starts laying.

I hope she does too! I'm pretty sure she's not a heritage quality... I'm a newbie though so I'm not totally sure what that means but I got them from My Pet Chicken so I'm assuming they are from Meyer Hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom