my chicken has swollen eye with bubbling liquid

My friends never left the coop. she has about 8 dogs right next to the coop and they were fine. Do you have sulmet? I got it for her at the local feed store. I hope very much that you are able to get it under control, but wast no time trying things. And if you do lose one, i hope you get it tested. It will make all the difference in the rest of your flock. Some things can be treated and all is gone.....and other illnesses stay in the bird and if you get new birds, they can get sick too. As if your would be carriers. So it would be worth it to know what it is. I think people sell birds if they know they are carriers just to get rid of them. I hate to think that people are capable but it seems that they do this.

Ok, I didn't read through all the posts, but I had a similar experience with a RIR pullet last year. The eye was bubbly and swelled up. I rubbed neosporin(sp??) on the eye everyday, and it seemed to help alittle. About 4 weeks later it was swollen really bad, and I was actually going to catch it and put it down. When I went to the pen it was scratching its eye, and out popped this round yellow fatty looking ball about the size of a marble. I let her go and in about 2 weeks she was fine. A few weeks later she was killed by a coon.
sad.png

I don't know if it will help but thats what happened with me. I hope yours gets better soon.
smile.png

We had a rough time with ILT. That is what it sounds like. But if that's what it is, they will not necessarily be carriers. We got an ILT vaccine from the Chicken Doctor www.firststatevetsupply.com. It is very easy and safe to use; it is an eyedrop. We vaccinated all our birds; the sick ones too. The vaccine helped the sick ones to recover, and prevented the ones who were not sick from getting it. Yes, we did lose a few; it is pretty high mortality. But we didn't lose as many as we feared we would, and the Peter Brown (the chicken doctor) helped us all the way through it, as did the members of the old byc. It could also be Coryza. Both of these illnesses are extremely contagious. You need to get a good disinfectant like Oxine. The chicken doctor also provided us with simple directions on how to use it. You need to soak everything you can get to with it, you can use it in their drinking water too and also mist the birds with it. We treated our birds with antibiotics also; even though they had a virus, the antibiotics will help them from getting secondary infections. And dewormed and deloused them. I haven't read all the posts yet either so sorry if I'm duplicating anything, but those symptoms sound real familiar to me. You need to take drastic measures to find out what it is, like we did for the ILT. And hurry. If I were you, I wouldn't order chicks til later.

Also, I'm not discounting anyone's advice here, it is all good. I just know we came out on the winning end from following the chicken doctor's advice. And we have had lots of new birds since then (a year ago) and have had no recurrences (knock on wood). I think he charges 20.00 or so now for advice(he is not a vet though) and is hard to get hold of on weekends. By all means do the necropsy. That is how we found out what we had. Migratory birds carry lots of viruses and that is why you see these illnesses a lot of times in the spring and fall. You must do a lot of research and follow all the advice you can, if you want to save them. It is not just a simple eye infection, I can tell you that much. And you can save them. Another thing you can do to disinfect is to rototill lime into the ground of their enclosure. Of course they cannot be in there when you do that, and you have to make sure the lime is like six inches into the ground. But it will kill bad germs. I have not tried this, but know that is what commercial poultry experts will tell you. Hopefully this will help you. We had back to back episodes of ILT and Avian Tuberculosis last year, and I learned a lot about those diseases. It causes a real knee jerk reaction when I read about someone else with similar symptoms, because, believe me, something like that is a nightmare!:eek:

It is probably ok to eat the eggs before you started the antibiotics. It is not ok to eat them after they are on antibiotics, until about three weeks after they have stopped.

pips&peeps :

there is not a blood test that can detect ILT or IB, a necropsy is the only way to definitely diagnose.

There is a blood test for IB, I had it done last summer. It is called and ELISA and they can do a swab of the throat for ILT.​

I just checked our new submission forms for PA and you ar partially right, yes there is an ELISA test for IBV but there are also 9 other ELISA tests for other diseases also. Thanks for bringing that up.

mike​

I found the TYLAN at the feed store yesterday, the problem is that every bottle they had expired on april 30 2006. I brought it to thier attention and they removed it from the shelves. I now know where to find it, now I am having a hard time finding dosage for poultry for the injectable forms. I was going to buy a bottle of TYLAN 50 but I need the dosing instructions.

mike

I got this info from Peter Brown tonight....

Hey Jean:

I have seen this many times before. The underlying causes are many. Things such as E.coli, Pseudomonas,Coryza, Bronchitis,etc.

I would Nasal Flush the bird using Oxine or Tylan 50 with sterile water. I would then apply either eye drops or eye ointment to the eye several times daily.

DIRECTIONS FOR TREATING SINUSITIS WITH SWOLLEN EYES

NASAL FLUSH USING TYLAN 50 OR LA-200

USING 12 CC’S OF STERILE WATER ADD 2 CC OF TYLAN 50 OR 1 CC OF LA-200 AND THEN FLUSH EACH NOSTRIL( USING A SYRINGE WITH THE NEEDLE REMOVED ) WITH 3 TO 4 CC’S TWICE PER DAY FOR 5 TO 7 DAYS. THE BIRDS HEAD SHOULD BE HELD DOWN SO AS NOT TO SWALLOW TO MUCH OF THE TYLAN SOLUTION.

FOLLOW THE FLUSHING WITH VET-RX SQUIRTED LIBERALLY INTO EACH NOSTRIL. DO THIS AFTER EACH FLUSHING.

USING THE EYE OINTMENTS IS A CRITICAL PART OF GETTING THE SWELLING TO GO DOWN. USE THE EYE OINTMENT EVERY 2 TO 3 HOURS DURING THE DAY IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. YOU SHOULD USE IT AT LEAST TWICE PER DAY. START IN ONE CORNER OF THE EYE AND LAY DOWN A SMALL STRIP OF THE EYE OINTMENT FROM ONE CORNER OF THE EYE TO THE OTHER CORNER OF THE EYE.

IT MAY ALSO BE HELPFUL TO FLUSH THE EYE ONCE PER DAY WITH AN OVER THE COUNTER HUMAN EYE WASH THAT IS BORIC ACID BASED AND THEN PROCEED WITH THE NASAL FLUSHING AS DESCRIBED ABOVE. THE EYE WASHES ARE READILY AVAILABLE IN ALL DRUG STORES.

IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO USE MORE POWERFUL ANTIBIOTICS TO CURE THIS SWOLLEN EYE PROBLEM. IF YOU ARE NOT MAKING PROGRESS , PLEASE CALL ME SO THAT WE MAY DISCUSS YOUR SITUATION AND MAKE ANY NECESSARY CHANGES.

TYLAN 50 OR LA-200 - 2 TO 3 DROPS DIRECTLY INTO THE EYE TWICE A DAY FOLLOWED BY THE EYE OINTMENT TWICE PER DAY FOR 5 TO 7 DAYS

CILOXAN EYE DROPS GIVEN AT THE RATE OF 2 TO 3 DROPS IN THE AFFECTED EYE 2 TO 3 TIMES A DAY FOR 5 TO 7 DAYS

Ciprofloxacin Eye drops or Chloramphenicol Eye Ointment available in the online store on this site.

This should take care of the problem.

Keep us posted if you will.

Keep em Healthy,

Doc​

Back
Top Bottom