My Chicken has turned Carnivorous

What chicken feed only has 10% protein?
They are in Kenya...so maybe different than here in the USA.
But yes 10% is very low for a layer feed.

@Georgey does animal feed in your country have to be labeled with ingredients and nutritive percentages? It's the law here to have protein and calcium, and a few other things, listed on the tag/bag.

They are in Kenya...so maybe different than here in the USA.
But yes 10% is very low for a layer feed.

@Georgey does animal feed in your country have to be labeled with ingredients and nutritive percentages? It's the law here to have protein and calcium, and a few other things, listed on the tag/bag.
Yes it's there but it's more of a guideline

You're in Kenya, I didn't realize, I am sorry. There is also going to be a whole host of parasites that most of us from the states won't be familiar with, including myself. Mango worms, etc. Sometimes a parasite that is not known for being in a certain species, will still lay it's eggs in the animal that isn't known to carry them. The eggs may even hatch, but the larvae will immediately die. The warble, (pocket), won't really develop and will be very difficult to find. There will still be a foreign body under the skin. Maybe, you might well off asking locals, who have maybe seen this before. I don't know. Good luck, and please share if you find out.

(In the States, think of chigger bites, itchy annoying, little solid bump of hard puss. Most of the time the eggs still hatch in people, but do to diet most likely, they rarely mature and come out on their own. The itchy little things)

About 10% protein.

That sounds very low. The only commercially available feeds we can access are either 17 or 19%. Personally I give them 17% as I believe from reading somewhere that the higher rate might promote failure to lay the egg. It never happened with my flock, but a prolapsed vent wouldn't be nice and probably would end in culling, so to avoid that I am happy with the lower percentage.

Back
Top Bottom