My chicken hasnt been laying eggs in the past week

Arianna Rose

In the Brooder
May 29, 2020
My white leghorn hasnt been laying eggs in about 2 weeks and she is 3 years old. So I didn't know if she was laying eggs somewhere else, she was molting, or even broody I have no idea. But she doesn't look like she's molting and she is definitely not broody and I checked the whole coop and I couldnt find any eggs just laying around. I decided to buy some fake eggs that are supposed to encourage egg laying and she still continues to not lay eggs. Here is the best picture I could get of her because she is very fast.
20200529_084610.jpg

Do you free-range or have a large run? It's possible that she could be laying somewhere else. Often, when I let my chickens out to free-range, they lay somewhere under ferns or bushes. They also do that in their large run, as I have a lot of tall grasses growing there. Egg production often rapidly declines at three years old. I hope you figure out what is going on!

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I used to free range but I moved and the area I moved to is not very suitable to free range them. so I made the run huge
Do you free-range or have a large run? It's possible that she could be laying somewhere else. Often, when I let my chickens out to free-range, they lay somewhere under ferns or bushes. They also do that in their large run, as I have a lot of tall grasses growing there. Egg production often rapidly declines at three years old. I hope you figure out what is going on!
I was free ranging them but then we moved a couple of weeks ago and all my other hens are laying eggs but she isnt. I have about 20 chickens and the inside coop is about 20 to 12 feet and the run is about 20 to 30 feet. I checked the whole run and I cannot find any eggs.

Back
Top Bottom