My chicken is a bloody mess

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eddiensu, Mar 11, 2014.

1. eddiensu

eddiensu New Egg

Apr 15, 2013
    Thaxton VA
    I have 8 chickens and one of them seems to be the one that gets peck-on. she has a open wound on the top side of her wing also open would on the bottom of her wing. I have put her in a medium size dog crate today. I am new to chickens and really do not know what to do to help her heal. Please help

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do they have plenty of room in the coop, or do they free range during the day? Is there are bully in the crowd that might need solitary confinement for a few days? ? I would clean up the wounds with weak betadine or hydrogen peroxide, then put some Neosporin ointment on it. Stop the bleeding with firm pressure for 3 minutes, or apply blood stop powder or flour. After she heals enough spray her wounds with BluKote spray from the feed store. The blue color will discourage picking. Make sure they are getting 16% protein in their layer feed, and you can increase protein by giving either game bird feed 24% or giving some dry cat food, or a little unsalted hamburger. I would place her cage in the coop, so that she is not away from them to lose her place in the pecking order, or they will attack her worse if she is gone long.

3. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    I have a hen that had her butt picked almost bald.
    I sprayed her with blue KOTE...and fed them feather fixer it has vitamins and extra protein ...I also spray with hot
    Pick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by