My chicken is a bully!

I did have one that would try to peck stuff out of my hands suddenly as she was maturing and suddenly became friendly. One day I tripped on her, basically stepped on her toes than accidentally kicked her in the process while trying not fall down myself. After that she stayed out of my way, and was a bit more respectful about it. :)

She doesn't respect you. Unfortunately when you pet and cuddle chickens they often see it as submissive behaviors. She feels it's her right to peck you. Most birds can't handle or understand human interactions. A chicken only knows how to be a chicken, and chickens peck each other to communicate. Don't let her into your space, that's what a chicken understands.
I'm sorry you have an aggressive chicken--
Chickens have different personalities, and it might just be part of her personality--aggressive. If she wasn't always like this then it might be because something happened to her which made her not trust you(I trust that you treat all your chickens very well, of course, but chickens have a different perspective :)).
If you can't remember anything you did at all, it might be the pecking order :idunno
X2 to ALL the posts above!
Good luck!

This has been an interesting conversation. I get it you want to have chickens that you can play with. My rooster was the leader but stayed away from me. I am now having to raise a new flock with the second generation and some new blood. My old hen was protector of the yard from all other animals except the hawk and squirrels. One of my young roos attacked a squirrel and also likes to bite me. Two of the small girls show the same behavior.

I like the chickens being able to protect the territory. I plan on keeping them and breeding them. When I pick them up, they don't bite me except the roo. The methodds mentioned I've done and they do work.

Back
Top Bottom