My chicken is a mom!

lil_nyixx

Chirping
Sep 21, 2020
Indiana, USA
So about a few weeks ago (2 weeks) I’ve noticed my Blue Wyandotte is walking a little funny and I got a little too fat. I weighed her and she was 4 pounds over her normal weight, her normal weight is 6.5 pounds and when I checked it she was 10.5!! She was way over weight and i started giving her a diet. Well today, I noticed she became very broody over night and wouldn’t come out of the coop for her usual snack. long story short she layed 3-4 eggs and shes sitting on them. Won’t let me touch her or her eggs, and my rooster has become very protective of her and won’t let the other girls near her.

I know my girl can take care of her eggs herself but is there anything I need to get her specifically?

So about a few weeks ago (2 weeks) I’ve noticed my Blue Wyandotte is walking a little funny and I got a little too fat. I weighed her and she was 4 pounds over her normal weight, her normal weight is 6.5 pounds and when I checked it she was 10.5!! She was way over weight and i started giving her a diet. Well today, I noticed she became very broody over night and wouldn’t come out of the coop for her usual snack. long story short she layed 3-4 eggs and shes sitting on them. Won’t let me touch her or her eggs, and my rooster has become very protective of her and won’t let the other girls near her.

I know my girl can take care of her eggs herself but is there anything I need to get her specifically?
Sorry. This is all very confusing.
How long ago did you get a weight of 6.5 pounds on your Wyandotte? Are you sure your scale is accurate? It would be highly unlikely for a layer to gain that kind of weight and not be dead.
How do you "give" a chicken in a flock a diet?
Can you post pictures of your setup? Have you candled and marked the eggs to ensure no new eggs are added to the clutch that will cause a staggered hatch?
Where is she setting?

Back
Top Bottom