My Chicken Is Acting Strange... please help

CBQPFU

Hatching
Sep 30, 2016
My chicken ginger was laying in the coop, not roosting like the others were. I picked her up and put her up on top, but she just later there. After a few seconds, she tried to eat poop. I then picked her up and brought her to show my family. We were around her, but it was kind of dark, so when I shined a light on her, we were surprised. Her mouth had a foamy substance not overwhelming, but still clouding up her mouth. She didn't want to drink water, and when I have her yogurt it dropped out of her mouth. Please help. I tried to put her back with the flock to comfort her, but she was wobbly, and obsessed with trying to eat poop. Again, please help.

My chicken ginger was laying in the coop, not roosting like the others were. I picked her up and put her up on top, but she just later there. After a few seconds, she tried to eat poop. I then picked her up and brought her to show my family. We were around her, but it was kind of dark, so when I shined a light on her, we were surprised. Her mouth had a foamy substance not overwhelming, but still clouding up her mouth. She didn't want to drink water, and when I have her yogurt it dropped out of her mouth. Please help. I tried to put her back with the flock to comfort her, but she was wobbly, and obsessed with trying to eat poop. Again, please help.

Welcome to BYC.

Can you take her to a vet?
How old is she?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
What does her poop look like?
Do you provide a source of poultry grit?

Separate her so you can monitor her. Any foamy substance at the beak, in the mouth needs to be wiped away/cleared.
Check inside her beak and look for anything that may be stuck in there. Do you see any lesions or hard cheesy matter?

Encourage her to drink - hydration is important, but if she seems to have a blockage don't force it, she may choke.
Once she is hydrated, then offer wet poultry feed to see if she will eat.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom