my chicken is breathing with her mouth open... please help !

andrea,
i would check yours just to put your mind at rest x does she gurgle ? mine gags like she has something stuck in her throat and thats another symptom of gapeworm x but her nose and eyes are clear... thats also another symptom that its gapeworm.......well this is all what i have been told x hope it helps x
there are some threads on here about gapeworm and her symtoms were exactly the same... it can cause death x

Man, I can just imagine what my girls will think of me trying to swab their throats!
roll.png

I will give it a shot tonight and see. I was planning on doing an annual worming in December or January anyway, so I guess i may as well go ahead and do it soon, just in case. One of my girls is molting now and I would prefer to wait until she's done to worm her.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

hey andrea.... let me know how you got on swabbing her throat.... i have bought a multi vitamin that you squirt directly into their mouths and it helps for young hens before they come into lay, for sick,lethargic or molting birds and apparently you see a remarkable difference in 30 mins... so it will be here in the morning as i paid for it guarenteed next day delivery..... i can send you the link for the page if you want you will just have to change the country but they sell all over the world... things maybe cheaper on there and the names of the 3 other treatments either you or someone else sent me ...2 of them are not licensed in england but you would be able to get them if you change the country the only treatment that is licensed in the uk to treat gapeworm is flubenvet 2.5%
have fun with your girls and let me know how you managed to keep their mouth open................ lol x

which vitamin product did you get? I have poly-vi-sol baby vitamins and NutriDrench for Poultry. I give these to the girls at fairly regular inventories. Thanks for the link!

Sadly, I did not get to do the swabbing this evening. We found a hurt baby raccoon in our driveway and I have been trying to find info on how to get it some help! Hoping to find a rehabilation center in our area!

hi andrea, that baby raccoon that you helped might have had his eye on your chickens........... lol . hope he gets sorted out ... i have given her the vitamin that came this morning... think i wore quite alot of it.. she so was not impressed ! anyway i will just keep plodding on with her and wait till the flubenvet arrives (wormer) and see how this **miracle ** vitamin goes..... this is the direct page to the product !

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Total-Poultry-Solutions-Poultry-Nutri-Drops-30ml/productinfo/NUTRIDP/

i will let you know x

this multi vitamin that i have been giving her is fantastic...... it really does do what it says on the bottle..... she is great up to now...... she is on the flubenvet (wormer) and seems a little better ... she doesnt seem to be gasping for air like she has been............fingers crossed my little lady will make it !

i post this will deep regret.... my little specklady has just died .... i tried so hard to help her and i feel so bad that i have failed her..... i sit here typing this crying... i never thought i would have got so attached to a chicken.... she seemed perfectly well this morning and alot happier and she went down so quickly...... i am absolutely gutted ! the gapeworm claimed another young victim ... the flubenvet takes 7 days to kill them she was on her 4th
gone to chicken heaven x x

Had to jump in here..I've also heard that keeping vinegar in the water for a while helps? Anyone ever try this in an, on an off and on again to keep them clear of worms..anywhere in the body? Not saying vinegar in the water for ever, I think some do, but what about a once a month thing for about two days?

Back
Top Bottom