My chicken is choking on something pls help

Sally487

Chirping
May 9, 2021
Queensland
Hi, my chicken is sick she has had sour crop recovered than got it again and is still trying to get better yesterday she was making odd movements with her neck so I felt it and there is a circular lump and she cant seem to eat but can drink with some difficulty I don't know how to get the object out her moth (although i don't think it would fit out) or into her crop she is not struggling to brethe or anything like that however she cant eat not shoure if she could eat wet food like in a puray form many any help if very appreciated I hate to see her in this condition :hit

(the video)

odd movements with her neck so I felt it and there is a circular lump and she cant seem to eat but can drink with some difficulty I don't know how to get the object out her moth (although i don't think it would fit out)
Hi Sally, sorry you are dealing with this trouble.

Where exactly is the lump you felt situated? More towards her crop or rather near her throat? Can you open up her beak and try to look down her throat with a flash light?

This indeed could be some trapped object she swallowed, but it also might be some kind of tumor growing.

ETA: How old is your hen?

Last edited:
Hi Sally, sorry you are dealing with this trouble.

Where exactly is the lump you felt situated? More towards her crop or rather near her throat? Can you open up her beak an try to look down her troat with a flash light?

This indeed could be some trapped object she swallowed, but it also might be some kind of tumor growing.

ETA: How old is your hen?
the lump moves as she moves her head (sometimes it is close to her face and other times it is closer to her crop but never goes down) I looked down her throat couldn't see anything but I did find out her breath stinks probably because of sour crop her poo is sloppy wight and green I believe she is 2 and 1/2 years old isa brown

I've heard giving olive oil and massaging the crop can work but i'm pretty sure that's for an impacted crop and we don't know for sure what your chickens problem is; I hope you manage to sort her :(

Mine do that to rearrange their crops. That’s how my hen with sour crop moved it.🤷🏽‍♀️ But almost all of my others do it too (especially at night when they have full crops). I always thought it was just uncomfortable (like when people have full stomachs) so that was their way of moving it and trying to make it more comfortable.

I do think she is just trying to get more comfortable but the ...thing... keeps moving around it is very weird I also have no idea how it got there it might be a tumor but then how do you get rid of that? and how do you feed her

the lump moves as she moves her head (sometimes it is close to her face and other times it is closer to her crop but never goes down) I looked down her throat couldn't see anything but I did find out her breath stinks probably because of sour crop her poo is sloppy wight and green I believe she is 2 and 1/2 years old isa brown
How does her breath smell, rather foul or sweetly? This might even be a lump of encapsulated/accumulated pus from canker/trichomonosis.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/trichomonosis/trichomonosis

Back
Top Bottom