My chicken is getting hurt....

alacrity

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 30, 2014
My 3 little bantams have gone a bit crazy. My pekin (Geraldine) has gone broody, protecting eggs that I keep pinching and just bring a broody hen. Each time she leaves her nest to go and eat my other 2 chooks, bantam Wyandottes (Lacey and Marsha) attack Geraldine very violently, so now she doesn't come out to eat. When she was out yesterday I locked her out and put the other 2 in the coop so Geraldine could eat and a wander in peace. I also figured it would get her out of being broody, has worked with Lacey in the past. It didn't work. Now it seems Marsha is laying eggs for Geraldine to sit on and now I have 2 cranky chickens. Marsha will go and eat a wander around but Geraldine won't leave the nest. I locked Lacey and Marsha in seperate crates over night but that hasn't helped, they are attacking Geraldine violently, they puff up and make funny noises. What's going on?

It's been a long time since I've had to break a brooder.

We used to use an old technique that looked like some form or medieval punishment. We had a crate that was up on a wall out of the reach of predators, nothing in it for them to sit on, leave her in that for a day or two, with food and water.
Should break her out of it.

Not sure on the violent behaviour of the others, possibly pecking order re-establishment or they are being pissy about a nest box?

Back
Top Bottom