My chicken is having egg bound or constipated

lightm

Don't Peck On Me
Premium Feather Member
Jan 31, 2022
Southeast NC
My hen is feeling unwell since yesterday afternoon. I noticed that she wasn't eating or moving. She also wasn't sitting. She was constantly standing (not really a penguin stance, see pic). She was drinking a bit water. She laid an egg no problem yesterday around 8am. I also notice yesterday afternoon she made two tiny, but normal looking poop.

She went to roost like usual. Her crop was not full since she did not eat. This morning, her crop got emptier so she doesn't seem to have a crop issue. She drank a good amount of water right as she came out of the coop, but she was still not interested in food.

She appears to be trying to poop (or passing an egg?). If she poops at all, her poop looks like this.
IMG_20220814_080847.jpg

Maybe it is normal since she hasn't been consuming solids?

She is just standing, not moving, not sitting.
IMG_20220814_080904.jpg

Any help or suggestion is appreciated!!
Right now we want to give her an epsom salt bath. Can I ask how deep the water needs to be?

You can check internally for an egg. Don't go no further then the second knuckle of your finger.
If an egg is present you'll feel it.

Do you have any calcium Citrate Tablets on hand?
Thank you. I think I was wrong about her crop being empty this morning. It is likely that she is at early stage of sour crop. I will look up info for that. Thanks.

She went to roost like usual. Her crop was not full since she did not eat. This morning, her crop got emptier so she doesn't seem to have a crop issue. She drank a good amount of water right as she came out of the coop, but she was still not interested in food.

Thank you. I think I was wrong about her crop being empty this morning. It is likely that she is at early stage of sour crop. I will look up info for that. Thanks.
Address the crop symptom, but likely she has something else going on.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Give her Calcium Citrate as suggested. Just pop the tablet in her beak and let her swallow.

I'd leave her with the flock as you treat her, let her move about as she wishes and let her eat/drink.

She may be having trouble passing an egg, the Calcium can help with that.

Back
Top Bottom