My chicken is limping

Kelipal

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 22, 2014
My chicken is limping, she has no obvious injury, her leg looks clean, no sores under foot, just not using it as much and prefers not to stand on it, no swelling either how long should I just keep an eye on it or do I go to vet, any suggestions, only had chickens for a short time so not sure any advice is welcome :)

Feel the entire leg, from her hip to her feet. Look for tender areas by pressing along the leg and see if she winces and make note of where. Also feel for swelling or heat (you may want to run your hand along her healthy leg for comparison). Does she free range? Is she around other hens or other animals? When did the limping start? Do her toes curl and if you pick her up and put your hand under the sore foot does she react and try to grasp your hand?

I will catch her tomorrow and do all the checks you suggest and let you know thank you for getting back to me, much appreciated. Yeah she does free range in grass and sand areas and I have two other chickens. I noticed it just a few days ago.
Kel

I caught her and there was no obvious injury, no warm areas on her leg, her foot still curls round and she can still sit on her roost, her foot is clean, no lumps or cuts no swelling anywhere. She still eats and drinks just limps not sure what else to do or try.
K

Ended up taking her to the vet who said that she had the equivalent of a sprained ankle but apparently that is further up on the leg. He has given me Metacam to try for week to see if that helps, poor girl that she is however she can still run for treats so its not getting her down too much.
Thanks again
Kel

Ended up taking her to the vet who said that she had the equivalent of a sprained ankle but apparently that is further up on the leg. He has given me Metacam to try for week to see if that helps, poor girl that she is however she can still run for treats so its not getting her down too much.
Thanks again
Kel

It would be best to put her in a cage or crate, provide feed and water. You dont want her running around which could cause further injury, then her chances of healing and recovery would be slim. What's worse is that metacam relieves pain and inflammation. Without the feeling of pain, she would most certainly further injure her leg. She needs confinement for rest and relaxation giving time for the injury to heal. You can purchase vitamin B complex tablets at a pharmacy, crush a few into powder and sprinkle the powder on her feed to eat. Vitamin B complex may or may not help speed up recovery. After 5 days, release her from the cage and see if there's improvement. If not, recage her and continue the metacam and vitamin B complex treatment. Then release her in 7 days and see if there's improvement. If there isnt any improvement, stop the metacam and vitamin B complex. It has then become a quality of life issue. You'll have to make a decision whether to keep her or cull.

Thank you for all your kind advice and sorry it took so long to reply. Charlie didn't make it in the end she started to loose weight too so I had to make the decision to be kind and not let her suffer. Still the other two are doing good and now the spring is here we are getting two more, never thought I would love having chickens this much.

Back
Top Bottom