My chicken is molting and cold but she's standing on the snow. What to do?

JuliaSunshine

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
West coast Canada
My 8 month old top chicken decided to molt during the unusual cold spell below 20F and she looks so cold and subdued.
She used to be very active and full of energy.
When the rest are hanging out in the shed she tends to stay outside standing on the snow shivering.
Is she avoiding other chickens because she's molting or is it something about pecking order?
Maybe she's not the top chick any more.
Should I keep her in a warmer room during the cold spell?
It'll be above 40F again in a couple of days but I'm worried about her because she looks so cold.
BTW they free range and refused to hang out in neither of the two snow-free, covered runs and insist on staying in my shed. So it became their shelter.

20221222_094136.jpg

20221222_094218.jpg

20221222_094145_HDR.jpg

20221222_094057.jpg

Since she's molting she may be avoiding the others because she's uncomfortable and doesn't want to be touched. As long as she has ready access to shelter (in this case, your shed) I think she'll manage, but keep an eye on her. Since you have a wrapped run she may do better inside there, by herself if she doesn't want to associate with the others.

Since she's molting she may be avoiding the others because she's uncomfortable and doesn't want to be touched. As long as she has ready access to shelter (in this case, your shed) I think she'll manage, but keep an eye on her. Since you have a wrapped run she may do better inside there, by herself if she doesn't want to associate with the others.
The weather turned warm thankfully and she's doing fine now. No chicken of mine wants to hang out in the run unless they need to eat or lay or I put treats in there. If I lock them up in there they scream big time until I let them out. I didn't know chickens keep distance from others when molting. Thanks!

Hi! It's because she's molting, offer high protein treats and if everyone else is semi molting you can switch to an all flock so that they get more protein. Keep an eye on her though. I had a hen that didn't eat when she started molting, it took me a week for her to start eating properly again 😐
I kept an eye on her and made sure she ate. Now the weather's warmer and it's all good again. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom