My chicken is sick, HELP!!!!!

Animals970

Songster
7 Years
Dec 14, 2012
Hi, one of my chickens has always been lazy, laid back that type of personality. About every 2 months, she'll go through a stage where she acts like she is going through a molt, but she doesn't lose any feathers. She wont do anything but sit there and every now and then eat, she just seems lazy.

Well, this time she was doing it, she seemed like she always does, just lazy. But today, she can hardly walk. She'll take a few steps and then fall over. Then she'll lay their for a minute, then she'll walk to the feeder, eat some and then walk out of the coop and just go walking everywhere like nothing happened. Whats wrong, I really need your help!!

Thanks,
Animals970

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

1) She's a 3 year old, Red Sex Link Hen. (No, she seems heavier)
2) Well, she was acting kinda drowsy, but now she is up and walking around.
3) Just started last evening.
4) No
5) No, she seems healthy
6) No, if its anything, I think its internal.
7) Laying mash, and regular water. And yes, she's eating and drinking.
8) I don't know, she's still with other chickens.
9) Nothing, Cause I don't know what she has...
10) I probally wont be able to bring her to a vet
11) I don't have a pic, cause she looks as normal as any other chicken
12) Straw. An outdoor coop

Is she laying regularly? And are you sure? Is her abdomen swollen?

My first thought with a 3 y.o. RSL is that she is an internal layer. This is a very common end to a great many high production layers. I have only ever had a handful of these birds and ended up with 2 that died from internal laying. Their symptoms were that they seemed slower and less active than their peers. They stopped laying, but I did not realize for how long because I have several birds and don't keep track of who is currently laying. Then they started laying around a lot, but they looked healthy and fat. Too fat, as I later figured out. Their abdomens swelled up like they had water balloons up their skirts. As the bellies swelled it started making breathing increasingly difficult. They would get very short of breath with the slightest exertion. Both birds ended up dying within a year of the cessation of laying. I put one down, but the other died as I was getting ready to put her down. They both had evidence of internal laying and probably died of egg yolk peritonitis based on the fluid build up.

Does this seem like what is going on with your hen?

Sadly Lou-Lou (the chicken I'm talking about here) died this morning. RIP Lou-Lou.
hit.gif

I'm very sorry for your loss
sad.png

Have you taken the body away from the other chickens? If any others start exhibiting the same symptoms, I would immediately see if you can open up Lou-Lou to see if you can figure out what was wrong.

I just read CMV's post. Internal laying was my first thought too. You can figure out if that was it easily... if you don't mind cutting her open.

Thanks guys ^^

Yes, I've taken her away from the other chickens, I wont be able to bury her until it warms up outside.

Okay, that's good.

Good luck with the others, and I know it hurts to lose chickens. I had to sell my entire flock a few years ago. I hope they'll all be fine
smile.png

I know. Some of mine are 3 years old, so I've already cried and cried that they're all gonna be passing soon
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom