My Chicken is Sick?

mychickens

Songster
10 Years
Sep 8, 2009
Eastern Shore, MD
My Chicken has been acting out of sorts for about a week..... mainly noticed at first that she was staying away from the rest of the girls and when I let them out in the evening she would stay close to the coop. Well yesterday I noticed that she was laying in the hen house while others were out. Other symptoms I noticed yesterday were that when she stands her tail is pointing downward instead of up, she is slow moving and has lots of poop on her but feathers. Last night she seemed to just go from one place to the other to lay down. I know these are vauge symptoms but does anyone know where I should begin?

is she laying eggs? whats the chickens age?

) What type of bird , age and weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Last edited:
Well, I don't know what breed she is, about the size of a RIR but is orange in color. She is a little over 1 year old. I don't know if she is laying but somebody isn't cause I have 7 hens and only getting 4 - 5 eggs per day. Bedding is wood shavings, Havent seen her poop but I don't notice any runny or bloody stools in the coop. I feed layer pettets but lately have been letting them out in the evening to forage and I also feed them things from the house. The only thing that has been different recently is last weekend I dusted all the girls with poultry dust. Everyone else seems fine.

mychickens i seem to be having a similar problems with one of my hens.have you seperated her?i brought mine in the house and put her on potty pads in a cage so i can watch her.that way you can checkmout her poo and see if shes laying.

one of my chickens has been like that for a week, tali down sits on her own(i only have 2 at the moment) feeds a little a little water, looks sad and is all ruffled up, and no eggs from her, I thought she was egg bound, then thought it might be red mite so dusted her and the coop but found non,dusted her for lice and they have gone, she still ruffled up still sits on her own and hardley eats she must weigh half of what the other one is ( she is an x battery) I have had her for a year.

Back
Top Bottom