My chicken keeps laying soft eggs while I am holding her

I've only picked my chickens up to to examine them or administer medication,etc and none of mine have ever laid an egg while I was holding them. Most eggs will break if they hit the floor (thin shell or not) but a calcium deficiency can cause their shells to become paper thin.

Sorry....I have NO clue! My duck laid an egg without the shell once, only the membrane thing, but I think it was because I rushed her inside into the warmth in mid-winter, and it was late at night so she had been sleeping. She has bad bumblefoot and I was rushing to weigh her to start her on her meds as soon as I could. Afterwards, she was on a towel on the floor eating peas and corn when she relaxed and laid down and just.....laid......an egg without a shell in the towel lol...

1644368685129.png

What a sweet duck! That is interesting. I felt like she was so relaxed that she just let one go just like you described with your duck. They are free range and I feed them ground up egg shells and no other girls are laying soft eggs, so I am perplexed. My son told me to quit holding her. When a chicken wants you to pick her up, you pick her up! She is the sweetest and most friendly chicken. I am not going to hold her tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the replies!

I have the friendliest white leghorn. She comes to me when I am in the fence and pecks my leg until I pick her up. Two days in a row, she has fallen asleep in my arms and lays a soft shell egg that falls to the ground and breaks. Has this ever happened to anyone? Is there something wrong?
🤣 you’re Mama Nest hahah

Back
Top Bottom