My chicken laid eggs in coop, but now in the garden -- Aaargh!

fch

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
My Red Stars (I have 2 of them) are about 4 months old and have started laying (yay!). In fact, they started a little early. Ahuva (the bigger one) was laying on the floor of the coop for her first two weeks (the nesting box is right *there*, girlie!), then she took a day off (as chickens are wont to do), and for the past few days she has been trying to lay out in the garden.

First day she did this, I knew she did it b/c I heard her do that loud bok-bok. But I couldn't find the egg :-(

Yesterday, I didn't let the out of the run (we let the free-range in the yard) until I saw two eggs in the coop.

Today, I let them out at 9 am (they usu. get out at 7 am), even though she hadn't laid yet, because they really REALLY wanted to wander around.

Later today, I found her egg in one of the garden beds. Rickin' frickin'!

Is there any way to get her to lay in the coop, other than keep them locked up until she lays for the day?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, you can see pics of our girls here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/friuduric/sets/72157615852567465/

Frederique

Your chickens and eggs! They are beautiful.

Actually, I'd probably leave them in the coop until they've learned.

Do you have any fake eggs or golf balls in the nest boxes?

That's a wonderful way for them to get the idea that it would be a great place to lay!

Thanks Mahonri. Yep, I've got two fake eggs in the nesting box, but they are just laying on the floor of the coop. (They roosted in the nesting box for a night or two once they moved out there, but since then, they aren't going up there at all).

*sigh* I suppose I need to keep them locked up. But they're so happy running about the yard, looking for treats. :-(

Yeah, An Easter egg hunt every day.
You won't have to keep them locked up forever they'll learn and it will be better for you and them.
Are the nests higher then the roosts?
Mahonri's advice is good.

Imp

Quote:
Umm ... yes. They get up there from their branch/roost. Is that wrong? Should it be on the bottom?

Nests should not be higher than the roosts. I think anyway, haha
smile.png

I have silly girls who still occasionally like to lay right infront of the nest boxes.....aaand I also have a free standing nest box on the north side of the garage because I have pullets who have chosen that as "THE" spot to lay their goodies.
roll.png

Lock yours up in the coop for a few days until they get their egg laying routine down
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom