My chicken laid her first egg :) . How do I move them?

chaunghian

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 14, 2010
Anaheim, California
Happ New Year to all Chicken Lovers. This morning 1/1/2011, my chicken just laid her first egg.
She laid it on the ground next to the wall. But that place is not secure for them and it may be wet because of the rain or water coming from the garden.
I had a coop for them with opened door and I put a plastic box inside the coop. I also put some dead grass found in the garden and I put her first egg in it.
Is it ok to move her egg to the nest box i just made for her? Please give me some recommendations.
I let me chickens free to run around and they sleep next to the door on a stick at night.
5314302952_2963354ef3.jpg

5313709701_c3641b9514.jpg

5313707193_05affb91d4.jpg

5313706163_4981e0f9d7.jpg

It may not happen overnight. For some...it never happens. We do better with a more vertical nesting box (if that makes sense). With yours, they may not be able to see in and get in/out easily.

Unless a hen is "broody," she won't do anything with that egg she laid. Broodinessis bred out of most chickens; they lay their eggs and don't set on them to incubate them. It is best to just gather the eggs for eating until she shows signs od being broody. She may never be broody, too. Or she might.

Happy New Year to you!

The container looks a little high and uncomfortable for the hens. My hens like small boxes made of wood that's about 6 inches by 10 inches. They feel protected with some walls around them, like a cave, and if they're off the ground. Any dry and clean nesting material would work. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the comment gryeyes. My dad and my Grandma said they will "brood" their eggs when there more eggs. They won't when theres only one. I don't know if its right or not. This is the first egg of my life
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks Jane Jill Jack. I will follow your instruction to make one nestbox using wood for them. The the nesting material I read alot of folks here recommend shredding paper, so I may use that and mix with some of the dry grass.

Back
Top Bottom