My chicken layed a egg with no shell just yolk fell out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nate-240, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Nate-240

Nate-240 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2012
    My almost 1 yr old golden comet just laid a egg with no shell just yolk fell out. Shes been laying fine for about 4 months. A few days earlier a got a really oval egg but i didnt know which chicken laid it. Its been cold for 2 weeks ranging from 0-15 degrees, i been keeping the coop about 20-35 degrees. I dont know if shes sick or what. What should i do?

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    I would add oyster shell or crushed egg shells free choice before considering a health issue. If it persists then I would consider health issues.

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    It could be she is not getting her necessary calcium for strong shells, or a disease has affected her shell gland. Misshapen eggs, soft-shelled eggs or no shell are some signs of a respiratory infection.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    If it's a one time thing I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes it happens. However, if she's regularly laying misshapen or no shell eggs, you'll need to look a little closer at her health. Are you feeding layer feed?

5. Nate-240

Nate-240 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2012
    Yes im feeding her layer crumbles i been adding oyster shell since its been winter in the there feed. But so far i havent noticed she layed a egg with no shell. Latley i only been getting 3 eggs but i have 4 chickens. And i think she has stopped layin. But all i been doing is giving them theire greens like lettuce and adding ouster shells and giving them some scratch here and there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by