1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chicken Plays Dead

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 7AcreOrganics, May 3, 2008.

1. 7AcreOrganics

7AcreOrganics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Ashland Oregon
    My two week old RIR plays dead when you pick him up. He immidiatley closes the eyes, and head lols to the side. When you put him down he perks up and runs off. No other chick we have had, over 100, has done this! He runs to a hand in the brooder, though, and likes to peck at you, and really does not seem scared.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LMAO My dog caught a baby goose years ago that played dead like that. When I ran up on her I thought she had killed it. Picked it up, still limp. But then I noticed it was breathing fine and eventually even peeked at me to see if I was still there. Sat it down on the ground and it got up and ran off..LOL Maybe this chick was a canadian goose ina past life [​IMG] hehehe

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Wow!

JJ

4. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Ours all do it when you hold them on their backs, but never just by picking them up. That is beyond cute!!

5. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    Awesome! [​IMG]

6. GoChick 101

GoChick 101 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    :eek: ROTFL :eek:

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  7. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

It really looks like its dead :mad: I have had sheep that do the same thing.

8. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    That ones a keeper!

9. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got a little Easter Egger who falls off to sleep every time I pick her up.... and her little head falls on my hand as she knocks off for the holding. She loves to be held and always gets as close to me as possible in the crate so that I'll pick her up.

I love it [​IMG]

10. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    My old english game roo did that once and we thought we had killed him but, my hubby said that he had fainted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by