My chicken was attacked by my dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kisses4chickens, Dec 13, 2014.

1. kisses4chickens

kisses4chickens Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2013
    Yesterday, my chicken was attacked by my dog. She is now limping and doesn't fully sit down. She's kind of "low-standing," and when she runs or walks, she limps. I felt around for broken bones, but couldn't find any. She didn't seem to be in pain when I was poking around. She can curl and uncurl her toes. She's eating a little bit and drinking water. I just hope her hip isn't broken. Does anyone know the signs of a broken hip? Here are her symptoms:

-no puncture marks or wounds on her body
    -Can curl/uncurl toes
    -Doesn't fully sit down
    -can walk and run, but is limping terribly

I've isolated her in a nice, warm place with food and water. I feel so bad for her, poor thing.

Thank you.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like she is sitting on her hocks or elbows. Can you confine her to a crate or basket to rest the leg or hip? Offer her some scrambled egg, tuna, or chick feed with a little water in it to get her to eat. B Complex vitamin tablet crushed in her food or water would help--once a day. Broken bones or sprains can take 2 or more weeks to heal, and the less she moves around the better at this point. A chicken sling later may help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by