My chicken was found laying in neighbors yard unable to stand and walk. Possibly due to shock or broken hock jock

23Villamil

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2022
Hello. Today I found 2 of my 6 week old chicks behind my fence leading into my neighbors yard and they have a Labrador. I couldn’t find them and was calling for them until I heard squeaks from a corner. I asked for help from the neighbors on the other side and when I got them back my brown chicken looks like it was suffering from heat stress and I was able to cool him off and send him back to his siblings after a while but the other chick was unable to move and wouldn’t wake up. I put his feet in a bucket with shallow water and took him out and he woke up instantly. I layed him down and he had diarrhea instantly as his eyes opened up wide like if he was holding it in. As I was calling him to stand up he wouldn’t his legs gave out. I carried him up and saw his legs were like paralyzed. He wouldn’t react when I would pinch his toes. I’m not sure if this is from hock jock or from the shock paralysis. Possibly spine I don’t even know these are my first chickens and I’m panicking because I love these guys so much. I’m currently keeping him isolated and wrapped up because I’m scared he might hurt his wings trying to go back to his flock. I need any advice any advice is helpful. And it’s not merke disease I looked into it his toes are straight out and was the healthiest guy yesterday climbing onto my head jumping on chairs. This morning he was active too but once I found him in the neighbors yard he looked scared as well as the other chick. It’s currently 11pm I’ll check this thread in the morning since the chicken is sleeping right now with me. Any advice is appreciated 🙏🙏

Hello. Today I found 2 of my 6 week old chicks behind my fence leading into my neighbors yard and they have a Labrador. I couldn’t find them and was calling for them until I heard squeaks from a corner. I asked for help from the neighbors on the other side and when I got them back my brown chicken looks like it was suffering from heat stress and I was able to cool him off and send him back to his siblings after a while but the other chick was unable to move and wouldn’t wake up. I put his feet in a bucket with shallow water and took him out and he woke up instantly. I layed him down and he had diarrhea instantly as his eyes opened up wide like if he was holding it in. As I was calling him to stand up he wouldn’t his legs gave out. I carried him up and saw his legs were like paralyzed. He wouldn’t react when I would pinch his toes. I’m not sure if this is from hock jock or from the shock paralysis. Possibly spine I don’t even know these are my first chickens and I’m panicking because I love these guys so much. I’m currently keeping him isolated and wrapped up because I’m scared he might hurt his wings trying to go back to his flock. I need any advice any advice is helpful. And it’s not merke disease I looked into it his toes are straight out and was the healthiest guy yesterday climbing onto my head jumping on chairs. This morning he was active too but once I found him in the neighbors yard he looked scared as well as the other chick. It’s currently 11pm I’ll check this thread in the morning since the chicken is sleeping right now with me. Any advice is appreciated 🙏🙏
Something may be wrong internally, and if that is the case- there’s nothing much you can do about his injuries. But for now, he may just be in shock. Try isolating him for now and giving him some water with electrolytes or a little bit of apple cider vinegar for shock. He may find his legs after a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom