My chicken will only eat one thing!

Also not sure what crumbles you feed your grown chickens that you are feeding tiny chicks but if its layer feed as i use it can kill a chick as it has too much calcium for them until they are laying and will wreck their kidneys .Another reason i use chick starter crumbles a small bag is $3.99.
You said the piece of seed jumps away from him when he trys to eat..was thinking he is trying it seems but its to hard for his tiny beak.Maybe if you sort of smashed it with something he could eat it.Just a thought.
x2 make sure you are not feeding chicks laying feed. This will kill them. Dough and seeds are also not good options. You need to have chick starter or grower. If it is not available locally order it online right away. Feed scrambled eggs and shredded carrots until it arrives.

So i got a chick starter after alot of search from a vet and I tried offering to the chicken, no more dough and seeds
and when i came back home this afternoon he was on the floor with his wings down!
and very very weak he could barely stand up, with his head tilted foward and not moving at all. i tried feeding him like crazy
but no results, he refuses to eat anything even at this stage,
I read about how some people feed them egg yolks and i tried it, actually i had to force feed him and right now he is doing better (he is standing up now but very still and eyes closed) i dont know what else to do besides keep feeding him the egg yolk
what can i do Any suggestions? please help :(

Last edited:
Try some plain organic yogurt, mix a little chick starter in it. And just dip his beak. Don't force feed him. Try to feel his croup, is it large? Hope the dough did not impact him....He is under a heat lamp I hope? Is he to hot?

I dip his beak in but he does not eat anything, he kind of falls asleep on it and nothing happens , he does not eat it and its just all over his beak, same with water and the yolk.
hes chirping now after i force-fed the yolk and pooped twice so i guess thats an improvement

I am sorry. All you can do is offer the yolk and drop of water along along side his beak. I had a feeling he was damaged before you got him and he is not likely to survive. Keep him warm and quiet, and maybe a miracle all occur. Sorry.

Yeah, that's sad. I'm sorry to hear about your chick, but one must be extremely careful about picking up birds at swaps and such. A lot of those stories end with damaged birds that people were just trying to get rid of. I hope he gets better.

Everyone seems to be giving good advice here. Yogurt and Chick starter mash are all good. Even a little hot cereal with Chick Starter in it might help. If he ceases to eat or drink anything on his own and can't get up or move about then there is probably something else wrong. I'm sure you know what normal chick behavior looks like...they mill about their brooder eating and drinking with purpose, peeping and pecking until they pass out. Quite literally tired chicks will pass out seemingly dead on the brooder floor. It's how they sleep. But abnormal chicks will peep very loudly, not eat or drink, and sit hunched and lethargic in a corner. Do make sure the heat lamp is not too close or too far...I hope he makes a comeback.

So i got a chick starter after alot of search from a vet and I tried offering to the chicken, no more dough and seeds
and when i came back home this afternoon he was on the floor with his wings down!
and very very weak he could barely stand up, with his head tilted foward and not moving at all. i tried feeding him like crazy
but no results, he refuses to eat anything even at this stage,
I read about how some people feed them egg yolks and i tried it, actually i had to force feed him and right now he is doing better (he is standing up now but very still and eyes closed) i dont know what else to do besides keep feeding him the egg yolk
what can i do Any suggestions? please help :(
he might have an impacted croup from eating dough and seeds with no grit. They use the grit to "chew" the food they have. Crumbles do not need chewing but most other things do. Is his croup large? if so if he makes it go back to crumbles!

Back
Top Bottom