My chicken wont stop yelling?

isa_no_bellz

Hatching
Oct 3, 2023
Hello! I've looked everywhere for answers and can't find anything, so I hope someone here can help. Here's the deal:

My chicken yells all day unless she sees me. I go out to hold her and sit with her, but she keeps yelling when I go back inside. I know this is starting to annoy my neighbors. She is free-range and is 4 years old. She has access to food and water at all times.
But here's the thing,
We used to have 4 chickens (all female), 2 passed suddenly in 2021, and it was her and one other for a while, but another passed this late July.
We have two ducks in another area of the backyard, we've had them for the same time though. I'm worried it's separation anxiety due to her sibling's passing.
(PS: We are working on getting 5 other chickens right now, we will let them meet her when they are about 12 weeks old.)

Thank you for reading, if anyone knows why this is happening please help!

Hello! I've looked everywhere for answers and can't find anything, so I hope someone here can help. Here's the deal:

My chicken yells all day unless she sees me. I go out to hold her and sit with her, but she keeps yelling when I go back inside. I know this is starting to annoy my neighbors. She is free-range and is 4 years old. She has access to food and water at all times.
But here's the thing,
We used to have 4 chickens (all female), 2 passed suddenly in 2021, and it was her and one other for a while, but another passed this late July.
We have two ducks in another area of the backyard, we've had them for the same time though. I'm worried it's separation anxiety due to her sibling's passing.
(PS: We are working on getting 5 other chickens right now, we will let them meet her when they are about 12 weeks old.)

Thank you for reading, if anyone knows why this is happening please help!
It's very possible that she's lonely and looking for her flock mates. Did she start "yelling" after the other chicken died? Can you get a video of her making the noise?

Can you divide the coop, and brood the chicks where she can see them? That might make a difference in how lonely she feels. The sooner she quits feeling lonely, the sooner she might be quiet ;)

It might also be possible to integrate the chicks with her when they are younger than 12 weeks, depending on how she acts. Since there is only one of her, she will not be able to gang up on chicks the way an entire flock of adult chickens could.

Here is an article that talks about brooding chicks in the coop, and integrating when they are still young:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/

Let her mingle with the ducks...see if that will help..maybe they will accept her..
I let them see each other supervised, I'm just worried she might hurt one of them, I will let them see each other more often though! Thank you <3

Can you divide the coop, and brood the chicks where she can see them? That might make a difference in how lonely she feels. The sooner she quits feeling lonely, the sooner she might be quiet ;)

It might also be possible to integrate the chicks with her when they are younger than 12 weeks, depending on how she acts. Since there is only one of her, she will not be able to gang up on chicks the way an entire flock of adult chickens could.

Here is an article that talks about brooding chicks in the coop, and integrating when they are still young:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/
Thank you so much for sending me that!!! I didn't fully if she would do something, this helps a lot!

It's very possible that she's lonely and looking for her flock mates. Did she start "yelling" after the other chicken died? Can you get a video of her making the noise?
Yes, she did start yelling when she passed, I'm just not sure how to really help her, and yes! I can send a video when she starts yelling tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom