My Chicken World is finally finished! Woo Hoo!!!!

huckleberryfarm

Chickenista
10 Years
Jan 7, 2010
Greenwood, SC
I posted pictures of the original Chicken World a few months ago but since then, I've added chickens, the babies have been growing, and it was obvious we needed more space. My husband did not take this news very well, especially since I dropped it on him the day he finished the first chicken run (after a month of hard work when he had time!).

But he gave in and we now have three beautiful coops that are 6 x 8, a chicken run (all nice and secure) for two of the coops that measures 24 x 24, and a larger run on the third coop that measures 60 x 24. I have the bantams in the little run and will put my larger breeds in the bigger one. Right now I just have 4 LF Cochins, 1 Marans, and 4 Ameraucanas but I have 25 little pullets coming this week and they will go in there in a few months. My bantam coops have 50 Silkies, Bantam Cochins, and Silkie/Cochins.

The chicken runs adjoin but are separate. The chickens can see each other but the little ones don't have to run from the big ones. The two little coops are elevated off the ground and we left some space at the inside edges for them to go under for shade. I have something temporary in the big run (which is pretty ugly!) but I'll do something more permanent this week. And I'll beautify the outside of the new run.

I'm so excited with how it all turned out! I'll probably add another coop of some sort at the end of the big run when I need it. I have a lot of space in that run so I think I can get more chickens!!! We also have two chicken tractors that we can use for growing out chicks, sick chicks, etc. Or mean roosters which is what they were recently used for!

46722_p6260075.jpg

46722_p6260078.jpg

46722_p6260080.jpg

46722_p6260081.jpg

46722_p6260082.jpg

46722_p6260084.jpg

46722_p6260087.jpg

46722_p6260088.jpg

I wish my stupid dog that loves to kill my chickens would heed this advice:
46722_p6260079.jpg

At least I can keep my little babies safe now from him and all other predators. I think we've done a good job of securing the runs with hardwire and boards. Thanks to everyone's advice on here, we've ended up with a great place to raise and enjoy our chickens. My thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!!!! That is amazing, it looks like a chicken town I love that as your husband finished the first run you told him you needed more space. I was laughing and laughing at that even had to read it to my husband. GREAT JOB!!!

WOWZERS!!!!
ep.gif
That Hubby of yours is a KEEPER!!!
thumbsup.gif
That's not "Chickie World"....that's "Chickies Utopia"!!!!
celebrate.gif
Your a lucky girl!
clap.gif

I can promise you that my husband was not happy with me! All that sweet man wants is some eggs. So far, we only have one little ole Silkie laying and those eggs are so little! But then I will see him in the run talking sweet talk to the chickens when he thinks I'm not looking! We just started with chickens in January so we have a lot of little ones but I have repeatedly promised him we will have lots and lots of eggs soon! He's patiently waiting... and indulging me along the way!

BTW, Keri, go check out my blog and the recent post with chicken pictures. I hatched out 9 of your eggs 7 weeks go (100% hatched!) and I have a few pictures of the babies. We got 5 frizzles and all 9 are absolutely beautiful! We love them!

Awesome! It looks so wonderful!
How neat to be able to see your chickens living happy and in comfort. And everything is so beautiful! You all did a great job in design and decorating.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom