1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chickens Are Afraid of Beet Leaves

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LadyHawk27, Jul 19, 2016.

1. LadyHawk27

LadyHawk27 Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2016
    Earth
    So today I decided to give my chickens the beet leaves my mom was going to get rid of. As usual my chickens all crowd by the coop door when I come out, but as soon as I put the plate down with beet leaves on it they all run to the other of the coop screeching. For a few minutes my chickens just stood there. When I took the plate out, they all slowly started moving around again. I also picked up a leaf to see if my little Captain Phasma would eat it, but she ran too.

Has this happened to anyone else? I would think the chickens would like the red stemmed leaves.... [​IMG]

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    [​IMG] They will get used to them and adore them. Try shredding them up smaller at the beginning and tossing them around. Are your birds young? They sound a little like hysterical teenage chickens.

3. LadyHawk27

LadyHawk27 Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2016
    Earth
    They're hens actually.@1muttsfan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by