my chickens are digging holes in their run.

My chickens are digging hole ALL over my garden area.
I gave it to them since gardening was over.
It's 25x25 , how will this affect gardening next year?:)

Having holes in a chicken run is perfectly normal. Mine pretty much looks like the Grand Canyon at this point. The only time you should be concerned is if the holes are up against the fencing, because no matter how much of the fence you bury when you set up the run, they always seem to dig deep enough to pull up the fence.

Mine did the same thing, almost dug their way to freedom too! I saw a head pop up from the ground on the outside of the fence and then I knew I had to fix it.

I put chicken wire along the entire bottom of the run. That stopped them from trying to break out.

They still have dirt and straw under the coop that they can dig in. I placed patio blocks around the edges so that they couldn't dig to freedom under there. It seems to work fine and they are happy..... I think.

:)

My chickens are digging hole ALL over my garden area.
I gave it to them since gardening was over.
It's 25x25 , how will this affect gardening next year?:)

So long as you can keep them out once you start gardening again, you should have a great garden next season. The chickens will be eating lots of pests living in the ground, fertilising as they go, and they do a wonderful job of turning the soil so it becomes a fine tilth. If they didn't eat everything in sight, they would make wonderful gardeners :D

Back
Top Bottom