My chickens are disappearing from their coop with no signs of a struggle and without the possibility of them being able to get out. help me plz!

They really need to be enclosed at night: locked door, roof over their heads, anything near where they roost needs to have no larger than 1/2" wire grid next to it (raccoons and birds of prey can reach through the wire and pull small birds through it, or pieces of larger ones). Ground level fences also need to be solid or reinforced with hardware cloth or small-grid wire (not chicken wire).

From what you've described there's all sorts of things that could be getting at your chicks. Owls are a good bet, but bobcats can easily jump over a 5' to 6' fence (or climb it if it's solid enough), and if you've got any gap 1" or larger weasels, rats, and snakes can crawl in and take birds.

Even domesticated animals can climb or hop over open-topped enclosures. I owned two different 90+ dogs that could climb fences if they were motivated enough.

When I was first starting with chickens, I had a 4’ open topped fence. The dog we had at the time learned that he could run around the fence, the chickens would panic and fly over the fence and then he could jump up and catch them. It was a really fun (though short-lived) game for him.

Back
Top Bottom